Become a Firefighter
- When the Louisville Fire Department is actively recruiting new firefighters and has opened up the application process we announce it by email or text.
- You can subscribe to be notified here.
- Click here to apply when open positions are available!
- You must be 18 years of age to apply, a high school graduate or GED, possess a valid driver’s license, no felony or multiple misdemeanor convictions or multiple traffic violations.
- You must be able to pass a written exam, a physical agility exam, a polygraph exam (lie detector), pass a background check and a medical exam.
- After candidates are selected, they begin a 27 week long fire recruit training program at our own Fire Training Academy. While at the academy, candidates are earning a salary.
Please continue to monitor our website or find us on Facebook to learn more about our openings.
Firefighter starting salary
$44,541,12 (Uniform allowance after probation)
There are contractual salary increases, longevity pay after 3 years, and promotional opportunities after two years.
Firefighters work 24 hours on duty and then are off 48 hours on a continuous three day rotation.
• Being engaged in a rewarding career with the focus of assistance to the community.
• Working as a member of a team of dedicated professionals.
• Opportunities to expand your skills to specialized disciplines such as dive rescue, high angle (rope) rescue, structural collapse rescue, hazardous material response technician, and others.
• Ability to shape your own career through competitive testing for promotion and advancement.
OTHER BENEFITS INCLUDE:
• 25-year Pension
• Paid Vacation
• Health Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Deferred Compensation Savings Plan
• Life & Dependent Life Insurance
Below are some printable and downloadable documents in Adobe PDF format to assist in preparation for the selection process.