Become a Firefighter
- When the Louisville Fire Department is actively recruiting new firefighters and has opened up the application process we announce it by email or text. You can subscribe to be notified here.
- Click here to apply when open positions are available!
- You must be 18 years of age to apply, a high school graduate or GED, possess a valid driver’s license, no felony or multiple misdemeanor convictions or multiple traffic violations.
- You must be able to pass a written exam, a physical agility exam, a polygraph exam (lie detector), pass a background check and a medical exam.
- After candidates are selected, they begin a 27 week long fire recruit training program at our own Fire Training Academy. While at the academy, candidates are earning a salary.
Please continue to monitor our website or find us on Facebook to learn more about our openings.
Firefighter starting salary
$44,541,12 (Uniform allowance after probation)
There are contractual salary increases, longevity pay after 3 years, and promotional opportunities after two years.
Firefighters work 24 hours on duty and then are off 48 hours on a continuous three day rotation.
• Being engaged in a rewarding career with the focus of assistance to the community.
• Working as a member of a team of dedicated professionals.
• Opportunities to expand your skills to specialized disciplines such as dive rescue, high angle (rope) rescue, structural collapse rescue, hazardous material response technician, and others.
• Ability to shape your own career through competitive testing for promotion and advancement.
OTHER BENEFITS INCLUDE:
• 25-year Pension
• Paid Vacation
• Health Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Deferred Compensation Savings Plan
• Life & Dependent Life Insurance
Below are some printable and downloadable documents in Adobe PDF format to assist in preparation for the selection process.