Interested in a great summer job or challenging career? Are you at least 16 years old with no physical or mental limitations? Then lifeguarding may be for you!
To become a lifeguard, a person needs to undergo an intense period of lifeguard training to ensure the safety of all those they are entrusted to protect. Click on the links below to learn more information of the skills and requirements needed to be a lifeguard.
- Lifeguard I Certification Requirements
- Lifeguard II Certification Requirements
- Qualified Pool Attendant Certification Requirements
- Louisville and Jefferson County Board of Health Chapter 901 Lifeguard I, Lifeguard II, Qualified Attendant
- Louisville and Jefferson County Board of Health Chapter 901 Lifeguard I, Lifeguard II, Qualified Attendant Ammendments
* Effective April 1, 2018 ther certification fee will increase to $25.00 per certification. *
Lifeguard/Qualified Attendant Testing and Certification:
- Location for written test and certification:
Louisville Metro Public Health & Wellness
400 E. Gray St., Louisville, KY 40202
- Written exams are currently given at 400 E. Gray St.; Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
During peak season: April 1st-June 30th
Written exams will only be administered:
Monday, Thursday, Friday: Noon -3:30 PM, walk in/ no appointment required
Tuesdays & Wednesdays: 9:00AM-3:30 PM by appointment only by calling (502) 574-6650
You must bring with you:
- Know the last 4 digits of your social security number
- Proof of identification and age: driver's license or personal picture ID with birth date
- Original certification card/cards for Lifeguarding, 1st Aid and CPR signed by your instructor. If you do not have your original cards with the instructor’s signature bring a print out of your cards from the website of the organization that you obtained the training. We will not accept views of your certification cards from your cellphone. (you will be turned away if you do not have the cards)
- $25.00 for certification: cash is preferred but will accept check, credit: VISA, MasterCard, Discover
- Change for parking meters on Gray St., change and/or credit card for meters on Jackson St. and Preston St. (DO NOT PARK IN LOT - Health Department parking lot is for Health Department employees only)
Lifeguard/Qualified Attendant Water Skills Testing:
Water swim test/lecture
At a local swimming pool reserved by the division for this course
You must register for this course: 502-574-6650
Come prepared to enter the pool water. Swim attire is required.
No Guard On Duty Requirements:
When the public swimming pool is without water safety personnel on duty, a locked barrier with a minimum height of 4 ft. shall be present at the pool entrance. The barrier must be secured at all times with access limited to residents and patrons. In addition, one of the following warning signs shall be placed in plain view with lettering 2 inches in height:
A) "POOL CLOSED, NO SWIMMING, NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY": PERSONS FOUND IN VIOLATION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO A FINE OF UP TO $100.00"
B) "WARNING, NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY, NO ONE MAY BE ALONE AND NO MORE THAN 5 PERSONS MAY BE IN THE POOL AT ANY TIME. PERSONS UNDER 16 MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT. PERSONS FOUND IN VIOLATION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO A FINE UP TO $100.00"