Summer Resource Fair for Youth on March 14
Louisville families with children of all ages are invited to a free resource fair showcasing summer activities for children, youth, and families on Sat., March 14. Themed “SOAR” which stands for Summer Opportunities and Resource Fair, the event will be held from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the DuValle Education Center gym, 3610 Bohne Ave.
This 7th annual SOAR event will feature local summer activities and resources for children and teens (ages early childhood to high school) including a wide variety of summer camps, parks and recreation programs, as well as employment, internship, and volunteer opportunities from a full list of exhibitors. Drawings for summer program scholarships, summer healthy eating exhibits, free lunch for children 18 and under sponsored by JCPS Nutrition and door prizes will also be part of the event.
SOAR is held in March to allow individuals time to plan ahead and register for opportunities while openings are available.
Participating agencies and businesses include:
- Archdiocese of Louisville
- Bates Community Development Corporation
- Be SMART for Kids
- Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts
- Bridging the Gap Learning Academy, Inc.
- Canaan Christian Church Dare to Dream Academy
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
- Department for Public Health Immunization Branch
- Drama by George
- Girl Scouts of Kentuckiana
- Humana Medicaid
- JCPS Early Childhood
- Kentuckianana Works College Access Center
- KY SPIN
- Lions Camp Crescendo
- Lions Youth Camp for Blind & Visually Impaired Youth
- Louisville Central Community Centers
- Louisville Natural Center
- Louisville Parks and Recreation
- Magpie 3x3
- Maryhurst Renewal
- Mathnasium of St. Matthews
- Metro Parks and Recreation
- Northwest Area Health Education Center
- Project One
- Shawnee Christian Healthcare Center
- Summerbridge Louisville
- The Parklands of Floyds Fork
- U.S Census Bureau
- United Healthcare
- Whet Your Pallette
- YMCA Camp Piomingo
- YouthBuild Louisville Summerworks
"Summer is a time to have fun, explore new places and ideas, learn new skills, make new friends and even make a little money", stated Elisa Freeman-Carr, Administrator of Ujima Neighborhood Place. "We're excited to host the SOAR event to connect children and youth, especially those from lower income households, with the many wonderful summer programs, classes, camps, and other opportunities offered in our community."
SOAR is also hosted by Bridges of Hope and Cane Run Neighborhood Places, Jefferson County Public Schools and the Villages of Park Duvalle. For questions about the SOAR event, or if you represent an agency which would like to participate, please contact Elisa Freeman-Carr at 313-4635 or Elisa.Freeman-Carr@louisvilleky.gov. You can also download this flyer to share with others who may be interested.