River Road extension public meeting to be held July 19
On July 19, Louisville Metro Government Departments of Develop Louisville & Public Works will host a public open house from 5:30-7 p.m. at the Kentucky Museum of Art & Craft (715 West Main Street) to discuss the planned River Road extension west to 15th Street. The extension will span from 7th Street to 15th Street, in conjunction with Waterfront Park Phase IV expansion.
Extending River Road is one of 16 priority projects in MOVE Louisville, the city’s 20-year transportation plan.
The extension of River Road and the expansion of Waterfront Park Phase IV are two examples of several projects underway to better connect downtown and the neighborhoods of west Louisville.
Other projects currently in planning or construction include:
- Choice Neighborhoods Initiative, which will revitalize the Russell neighborhood and transform Beecher Terrace into a mixed-use, mixed-income and multi-generational community;
- Reimagine 9th Street plan to make 9th Street from River Road to Broadway safer and more attractive for all modes of transportation;
- Dixie Highway Bus Rapid Transit, which will run along this stretch of Ninth Street;
- An arts and cultural district along Muhammad Ali Boulevard led by Louisville Central Community Centers;
- Installation of The Louisville Knot, a public art piece that will activate the underutilized area underneath the I-64 ramp at 9th and Main streets; and
- Stabilization of Quinn Chapel through a national grant.
Plus, the soon-to-be realigned intersection at 18th and Broadway will serve as a hub for commercial activity, with Passport Health Plan’s campus, a new YMCA, and investment from OneWest. The Louisville Urban League’s track and field facility at 30th Street and Muhammad Ali Boulevard also represents a catalytic investment in west Louisville.
Representatives with the Reimagine 9th Street draft plan will also be in attendance at the River Road extension meeting to discuss improvements to 9th Street with residents and stakeholders.
Construction to extend River Road to 15th Street is expected to begin in 2021 with completion in 2022. Funding for the extension comes from a combination of local, state and federal funds.
For more information on the River Road extension to 15th Street, please visit https://louisvilleky.gov/government/advanced-planning-and-sustainability...