Olmsted Parks Conservancy and Sam Swope Family Foundation presents the 2021 October Challenge
The Olmsted Parks October Challenge, presented by Olmsted Parks Conservancy and Sam Swope Family Foundation, is a virtual fitness challenge where participants can walk, run, bike, or hike in the Olmsted Parks from October 10-24 and be entered to win up to $1,200 in special prizes.
“The Sam Swope Family Foundation is proud to support the Olmsted Parks October Challenge,” said Brad Swope, Sam Swope Marketing Director. “It's an ideal way to celebrate and experience our magnificent Olmsted Parks and to honor the memory of Sam Swope and his famous slogan...NOBODY Walks Away!"
For every challenge completed in the Olmsted Parks on Strava, between October 10-24, participants will be automatically entered into a drawing to win special prizes – like the grand prize, a dedicated tree planted in their Olmsted Park of choice ($750 value), or local gift cards ($100 value). The more challenges completed, the more chances to win. Challenges include:
· Scenic Loop (Walk/Run/Bike) | Sponsored by Sam Swope Family Foundation
Complete a Scenic Loop in Cherokee, Iroquois, or Shawnee Park to be entered to win a $100 gift card to Ken Combs Running Store. A loop in each of the three flagship parks earns additional chances to win.
· Neighborhood Park 3k (Walk/Run) |Sponsored by Kaden Companies
Complete a 3k in any of the 14 neighborhood Olmsted Parks to be entered to win a $100 gift card to Quest Outdoors. Complete a 3k in additional neighborhood Olmsted Parks for additional chances to win.
· Olmsted Mile (Walk/Run) | Sponsored by Dean Dorton
Complete 1 mile in the greatest number of Olmsted Parks visited October 10 - 24 for a chance to win a $100 gift card to Fleet Feet Louisville.
· Tour de Olmsted (Bike) |Sponsored by Louisville Bicycle Club along with the Mad Dog Long Distance Cycling Pack Complete the most bike miles in Olmsted Parks & Parkways between October 10 – 24 (trails count double) for a chance to win a $100 gift card to Scheller’s Fitness & Cycling.
· Shady Trails (Walk/Run) | Sponsored by Associates in Dermatology
Accumulate the greatest distance on trails in Olmsted Parks (Cherokee, Seneca or Iroquois) between October 10-24 to win a $100 gift card to Plant Kingdom.
Registration ($21 for members; $30 for non-members) is required and comes with a FREE performance T-shirt and a complementary Olmsted Parks Conservancy membership.
How to Register and/or Redeem a Member Discount
- Visit the event page on olmstedparks.org (olmstedparks.org/challenge) and click "Register."
- If you are not a member, select "Standard Registration."
If you are a current member, select "Member Registration" to get 30% off the $30 registration fee.
- Select your t-shirt size under "Add-Ons," fill out the contact form, add your Strava "athlete name" and accept the terms as set out in the limited liability waiver.
Join the Olmsted Parks October Challenge Strava Club
- After completing registration using the instructions above, download and open the Strava app on your mobile device.
- Click the explore icon and search for Olmsted Parks October Challenge in the search bar.
- Click the "Join" button on the Olmsted Parks October Challenge Club Page to join the group leaderboard.
- Complete one of the Strava routes / challenges between October 10 - 24 to be entered to win prizes.
Thursday, October 7th at 6 pm, Olmsted Parks Conservancy will kick off the October Challenge with a virtual talk by Jimmy Hallyburton, Executive Director and Co-Founder of the Boise Bicycle Project in Boise, Idaho. An avid cyclist since childhood, Hallyburton presented a TED Talk in which he shared his vision for a more connected community. Hallyburton will be joined by Pedal Power, a local non-profit working to get bikes in the hands of refugees. Sign up today.
“The October Challenge is such a fun way for us to connect with our avid park users who spend so many hours in our parks,” said Layla George, president and CEO of Olmsted Parks Conservancy. “I am especially excited to share Jimmy Hallyburton’s vision for a connected community that experiences our parks at the Speed of Discovery. I hope everyone will join us for the virtual kick-off on October 7th and head into the October Challenge feeling energized and determined to win a few prizes along the way!”
The Olmsted Parks October Challenge is made possible thanks to support from our sponsors Sam Swope Family Foundation, Dean Dorton, Kaden Companies, Associates in Dermatology and Louisville Bicycle Club along with the Mad Dog Long Distance Cycling Pack.