New Children's Meal Ordinance goes into effect June 7, 2019
Louisville food service establishments offering a children’s meal that includes a combination of food items and a beverage that are sold together at a single price must comply with the provisions of the new Children's Meal Ordinance that goes into effect Friday, June 7.
The children’s meal ordinance requires at least one of the following food options be listed and/or offered on the children’s menu:
- At least one – quarter cup of unfried fruit or unfried vegetables, excluding white potatoes;
- A whole grain product that contains not less than 51 percent by weight in whole grain ingredients, or list whole grain as the first ingredient; or
- A lean protein, defined as a food containing less than 10 grams of fat, 4.5 grams or less of saturated fat and less than 95 milligrams of cholesterol per 100 grams and per labeled serving.
It also requires a default beverage option(s) be listed and/or offered on the children’s menu:
- Water, sparkling water, or flavored water with no added natural or artificial sweeteners
- Milk or a nondairy milk alternative
- Fruit juice combined with water or carbonated water
- A beverage containing less than twenty-five calories per eight ounces and no artificial sweeteners.
If your establishment does not alter the menu to include the nutritious food item(s) and default beverage option(s), your employees must verbally advise patrons of these options at the time of ordering. Failure to either list or advise of the nutritious food item and default beverage is a violation of the ordinance and you could be issued a citation.
Citations will be issued when our inspectors observe that menus do not include these required options or staff fail to advise patrons of these required option(s). Citations will include a civil penalty not less than $25 and no more than $100 for each day of non-compliance. Please also note that customers may still request to purchase a children’s meal which does not include any of the food items or beverages required to be listed or offered by this ordinance.
You can find a copy of the Children's Meal Ordinance and additional information by clicking HERE. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our office at 502-574-6650.