Neighborhood Place Offers Health-Focused Resources for All Ages and Stages
Neighborhood Place partners offer healthy workshops and services in March to benefit the entire family including car seat and blood pressure checks, a healthy living club and cooking classes, an educational baby shower, a child abuse awareness workshop and so much more. To learn more about these offerings and several others please refer to the list below.
March 1, 8, 15, 16, 22 and 29, Weekly Resource School at Bridges Neighborhood Place
Located at 1411 Algonquin Pkwy. Contact Nannette Bertram Dix at 634-6057 to RSVP and for more information. The Bridges of Hope staff is teaming up with an array of service providers to provide weekly programming and resources focusing on substance prevention, self-sufficiency, health, safety and resiliency. All workshops are free and open to the public.
- March 1, "Everyone Plays a Part", presented by ECHO (Exploited Children’s Help Organization) to learn how to recognize signs and symptoms of abuse and neglect, 4 - 5 p.m.
- March 8 and 22, "Choices", presented by Center for Women and Families providing an educational and support program for people affected by sexual violence, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- March 15, "Trauma 101", presented by Resilience and Community Services which focuses on Trauma Informed Care, 4 - 5 p.m.
- March 16, HIV/AIDS education and testing, 4 presented by the Volunteers of America, 4 - 6 p.m.
- March 29, "Wake Up", presented by Resilience and Community Services to provide education on opioid addiction, 4 - 6 p.m.
Beginning March 1, Cooking Matters Class at South Jefferson Neighborhood Place, 1 – 3 p.m.
Located at 1000 Neighborhood Place. Call 772-8588 to register for this class. Join this six-week cooking class to learn about healthy eating, cook in class, and take home a bag of groceries each week. Free for individuals meeting income eligibility requirements. Sponsored by Family Health Center and Dare to Care.
March 1 and March 12, Sodexo Hiring Opportunities
Sodexo, a food-service agency, will provide on-the-spot interviews for positions with Jewish Hospital, Our Lady of Peace and University of Louisville Hospital. Bring your resume and be prepared for an interview. This is one of Sodexo’s busiest hiring seasons. Stop by if you are looking for employment that can lead to a full-time or part-time position.
- March 1, First Neighborhood Place, 1503 Rangeland Road (T.J. Middle School in the W.D. Bruce Building – door #24), 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Call 313-4700 for more information.
- March 12, South Central Neighborhood Place, 4255 Hazelwood Ave., 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Call 485-7130 for more information.
March 2, 5, 6 and 15, ElderCare 4 Families Employment Recruitment
Call 244-8446 for more information. An employment recruiter will be on-hand for ElderCare 4 Families, a non-medical in homecare service for seniors provide help with cooking, cleaning, laundry and personal care.
- March 2, First Neighborhood Place, 1503 Rangeland Road (T. J. Middle School in the W.D. Bruce Building – door #24), 9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- March 5, South Central Neighborhood Place, 4255 Hazelwood Ave., 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- March 6, Ujima Neighborhood Place, 3610 Bohne Ave., 9:30 - 11:30 a.m.
- March 15, Northwest Neighborhood Place, 4001 Herman St., 9 – 11 a.m.
Mondays and Thursdays, YMCA’s “Caring and Learning with Me” program at Thomas Jefferson Middle School, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Located at 1503 Rangeland Rd., side of Thomas Jefferson Middle School. Call Keyonna Humphrey at 974-8457 for more information and to register. This free program provides a wonderful learning environment for children ages 3-5 years old and their caregivers focusing on play and exploration. The adult caregiver is required to attend with the children and you may also bring other children ages (0-2). Sponsored by the YMCA with support from First Neighborhood Place.
Tuesdays through April 17, Free Tax Preparation Services at First Neighborhood Place, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Located at 1503 Rangeland Rd., side of Thomas Jefferson Middle School. Call 502-305-0005 or visit louisvillekyvita.cascheduler.com to make an appointment or t check out IRS documentation needed. Sponsored by VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) with support from First Neighborhood Place.
March 6, Car Seat Safety Check at Ujima Neighborhood Place, 9 - 11 a.m.
Located at 3610 Bohne Ave. Car seat fitting by appointment only Norton’s Children’s Hospital Car Seat check fitting station 9:00 a.m. -11:00a.m call 629-7358. Learn how to install your child’s car seat or booster seat. Find out if it’s time for a change.
Beginning March 7, Freedom from Smoking Classes at South Jefferson Neighborhood Place, 10 – 11:30 a.m.
Located at 1000 Neighborhood Place. Call 772-8588 to register or for more information. Join this weekly group on Wednesdays for seven weeks to get the support you need to be free from smoking, Support will be provided on stress management, creating a personal plan and avoiding weight gain. All classes are free. Sponsored by the Family Health Centers.
March 10, SOAR (Summer Opportunities Resource Fair) at Ujima Neighborhood Place, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Located at 3610 Bohne Ave in the DuValle Education Center/Carter Traditional School Gym. Call 313-4635 for more information. SOAR provid an opportunity for families to prepare for the summer by exploring and comparing various summer programs all at one location.
March 12 and 27, A Healthy Journey for Two Educational Baby Shower
To RSVP or for more information, contact Mendy Mason at 502-341-5400. A Healthy Journey for Two is an educational baby shower open to any expectant mothers. The class will include a range of information and resources, as well as free baby items, gift cards, prizes, and snacks. Hosted by Seven Counties and KIDSNow. Fathers are welcome but must be registered.
- March 12, First Neighborhood Place, 1503 Rangeland Rd., 1 - 3 p.m.
- March 27, Northwest Neighborhood Place, 4018 W. Market St., 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
March 13, Free Blood Pressure Checks at Ujima Neighborhood Place, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Located at 3610 Bohne Ave. Call 313-4635 for more information. Louisville Metro Health and Wellness health educators will provide free blood pressure checks.
March 13 and 29, Foster Parent/Adoption Recruitment Meeting
Call 595-5437 (KIDS) for more information. Detailed information will be provided on the requirements and process of how to become a foster or adoptive parent. Information such as an explanation of foster care, special needs adoption, and information on foster parent training classes will be provided. Sponsored by Kentucky Foster Care and the Special Needs Adoption Program.
- March 13, First Neighborhood Place, 1503 Rangeland Rd., 6 - 8 p.m.
- March 29, NorthWest Neighborhood Place, 4018 W. Market St., 6 - 8 p.m.
March 13, Healthy Living Club at South Jefferson Neighborhood Place, 1– 2 p.m.
Located at 1000 Neighborhood Place, Call 363-1483 for more information. Classes are open to anyone interested in gaining more knowledge to live a better and more fulfilling life. Monthly meetings are on the second Tuesday of every month to discuss healthy living and to get the support you need to eat better, get active, and lose weight. This month features diabetes education on caring for yourself through a healthy diet and exercise. Come and join the fun and fellowship.
March 13, 14, and 28, Community Dental Care Information Sessions
Call 502-366-4442 for more information. Community Dental Care is a full-service dental organization designed to increase access to health care in communities with the goal of improving the overall health of the population. Representatives will be on site to provide information about services offered, to assist in scheduling appointments for dental needs as well as offer no cost dental screenings.
- March 13, South Central Neighborhood Place, 4255 Hazelwood Ave., 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- March 14, Ujima Neighborhood Place, 3610 Bohne Ave., 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- March 28, South Jefferson Neighborhood Place – Fairdale location, 1000 Neighborhood Place, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- March 28, South Jefferson Neighborhood Place – Valley Location, 10200 Dixie Hwy; 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
March 20 and 22, Conversation on How We Can Make Insurance Easier
For more information or to register, call 852-1119. The University of Louisville, School of Public Health and Information Sciences is hosting a number of focus groups to discuss how people who live in the South Louisville area can get better information about how health insurance works. Each participant will receive a free meal at the meeting and a $20 gift card for their time. In order to participate, you must: live in the South Louisville area; be at least 18 years of age; be able to communicate in English; attend one of the following meetings for 90 minutes; and complete a short survey at the meeting.
- March 20, South Jefferson Neighborhood Place – Fairdale location, 1000 Neighborhood Place, 6. – 7:30 p.m.
- March 22, Southwest Branch Library, 9725 Dixie Highway, 6 – 7:30 p.m.
March 20, James Graham Brown Cancer Center Mammogram Screening at South Jefferson Neighborhood Place, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Located at 1000 Neighborhood Place, Call 852-6318 for more information. Mammogram screenings are provided at no cost to women without insurance and who are 40 years and over. Any persons with insurance will be billed by the U of L Hospital. Sponsored by Family Health Centers and James Graham Brown Cancer Center at U of L Hospital.
March 20, 22, 27 and 30, Passport Health Care Informational Table
Call 313-4635 for more information. A community engagement representative is onsite to answer any questions that Passport members have regarding their plan, benefits and updates on the upcoming waiver.
- March 20, Ujima Neighborhood Place, 3610 Bohne Ave., 10 a.m - 12 p.m.
- March 22, South Central Neighborhood Place, 4255 Hazelwood Ave., 2 – 4 p.m.
- March 27, NorthWest Neighborhood Place, 4018 W. Market St., 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- March 30, South Jefferson Neighborhood Place, 1000 Neighborhood Place, 2– 4 p.m.
March 20, Everyone Has a Role workshop at Ujima Neighborhood Place, 6 – 7 p.m.
Located at 3610 Bohne Ave Call 313-4635 to RSVP and for more information. To kick off Child Abuse Awareness Month in April, this workshop will cover child abuse recognition and reporting and how to recognize signs and symptoms of abuse and neglect. Sponsored by ECHO (Exploited Children’s Help Organization).
March 26, Diabetes Education Classes at South Jefferson Neighborhood Place, 1:30 - 3:30 p.m.
Located at 1000 Neighborhood Place. Call 502-772-8588 to sign up. This information session is provided monthly to assist in learning the latest information on managing diabetes including healthy eating, developing an active lifestyle, taking medications and reducing health risks. Sponsored by Family Health Centers.
March 27, The Butterfly Effect Prom Event at NorthWest Neighborhood Place, 3:30 – 6 p.m.
Located at 4018 W. Market St. Call 313-4892 for more information. Prom is an exciting yet expensive time for many community families. The Butterfly Effect Prom Event will help match donated dresses, shoes and accessories with students in need of assistance. Dress donations and tuxedo rental vouchers are begin collected through March 23. Sponsored in collaboration with Destinee Germany - Miss Black Kentucky, NorthWest Neighborhood Place, Academy at Shawnee Youth Services and Jefferson County Public Schools.
About Neighborhood Place
Louisville’s Neighborhood Place -- a partnership of Louisville Metro Government (including the Office of Resilience and Community Services, and Public Health and Wellness), Jefferson County Public Schools, Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services and Centerstone (formerly Seven Counties Services) -- provides community-based centers which bring together health care, education, employment and social services at eight locations across the community. To find a Neighborhood Place in your neighborhood, please call Metro Call at 311.