Metro Council honors twenty-six individuals for Black History Month
Louisville (February 24, 2023) – The Louisville Metro Council hosted the 21st Annual Black History Month Program yesterday during a special meeting of the Equity, Community Affairs, Housing, Health & Education Committee, chaired by Councilwoman Dr. Barbara Shanklin (D-2).
“Reaffirming our Diverse Culture” is the theme for this year’s program. During the event, each of the twenty-six Metro Council members honored an individual with an award for his or her achievements.
“I’m honored to continue hosting this annual program for the Louisville Metro Council,” said Chair Councilwoman Shanklin. “February is a special month to celebrate Black History and thank dedicated community members in each of our districts for making an impact.”
“I always look forward to this celebration and the opportunity it provides us to celebrate the accomplishments and service of many of our neighborhood leaders,” said Vice Chair Councilman Stuart Benson (R-20).
The following people and groups were celebrated:
- District 1 – Honorable Jessica Green
- District 2 – Derwin Fort
- District 3 – Charles McBroom
- District 4 – Shannon Floyd
- District 5 – Theo Hamilton
- District 6 – Deputy Mayor David James
- District 7 – Joyce Marie Reed
- District 8 – Ladonna Johnson
- District 9 – Dewey Clayton, PhD
- District 10 – Tameka Laird
- District 11 – Percy Black
- District 12 – Barbara Thompson
- District 13 – Mary Spencer Owens
- District 14 – Yvette Norsworthy
- District 15 – Dianne Aljamaini
- District 16 – Patricia Anne Huggins
- District 17 – Debonna Dow
- District 18 – Tendai Charasika
- District 19 – Tod Moore
- District 20 – Roberto Grider
- District 21 – Sonny & Annette Woodard
- District 22 – Patricia Beckham
- District 23 – Larnelle Harris
- District 24 – Jonah Belance
- District 25 – Verbon Graves
- District 26 – Nina Reid
PROGRAM: To download the program, please visit: https://legistar2.granicus.com/louisville/meetings/2023/2/10842_A_Equity%2C_Community_Affairs%2C_Housing%2C_Health%2C_and_Education_Committee_23-02-23_Meeting_Agenda.pdf.
HOW TO WATCH: A recording of the special meeting will be available on Metro TV at http://louisville.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=2 and on Louisville Metro Council’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/LouisvilleMetroCouncil.
A photo gallery is available online at https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72177720306226207/.