Mayor Fischer declares June 16-23 Pride Week in Louisville
Mayor Greg Fischer today joined Metro Council representatives, Louisville Metro Government employees, LGBTQ+ community members, organizations and allies to declare June 16-23, 2022, as Pride Week in Louisville.
“Louisville celebrates our LGBTQ+ community year-round through efforts from groups including Louisville Tourism, Civitas, many LGBTQ+ organizations, advocates and allies,” said the Mayor. “But June is a special month of celebration for our LGBTQ+ family around the globe, and locally we are marking the occasion by officially declaring it Pride Week in the City of Louisville.”
In honor of Pride Week, Mayor Fischer and supporters raised the Pride flag in front of Metro Hall and have lit Metro Hall and the City Hall Clock Tower in rainbow colors.
“We know that communities that embrace diversity are strong communities. That’s why we are proud to officially display an international symbol of inclusivity by raising the Pride flag,” said the Mayor.
Mayor Fischer is encouraging all businesses and residents to show their colors and participate in this week’s Pride events.
Louisville’s Points of Pride include:
- A perfect score of 100 in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Municipal Equality Index seven years in a row (2015 through 2021)
- One of the first cities in the South to pass a LGBTQ Fairness Ordinance.
- Louisville Metro extends benefits to employees’ domestic partners, and was one of the first cities in the South to do so.
- Home to corporate partners that have achieved perfect scores on the corporate equality index – Brown Forman, GE Appliances, Humana, Papa John’s International.
- The first city in Kentucky to issue a same sex marriage license following the U.S. Supreme Court decision allowing it in 2015.
- The first city in Kentucky to establish a law-enforcement Safe Harbor Program, underscoring LMPD’s commitment to the safety of all LGBTQ residents and visitors.
- First Kentucky community to officially raise the Pride flag.
- Louisville Tourism established an LGBTQ representative task force to ensure our inclusive efforts at home are extended to all who pass through our city.
Louisville top LGBTQ+ accolades:
“Most Diverse Cities in the U.S” - Far & Wide
“10 Hottest Gay Destinations” - Orbitz
“6 Surprising Cities Great for LGBTQ Families” - Family Traveller
“One of America’s Gayest Cities” - Gallup Poll
“6 Underrated Cities for LGBT Travelers” - Condé Nast Traveler
“9 Perfect Places for Your LGBT Destination Wedding” - Travel + Leisure
University of Louisville LGBTQ+ accolades:
“25 LGBTQ-Friendly Colleges”- College Consensus
“Best of the Best LGBTQ-Friendly Colleges” - Campus Pride
“The Best Campus for LGBTQ Students” - LGBT Outfitters
“30 Most LGBT-Friendly College Campuses in America” – NewNowNext
“The Most LGBT-Conscious Campus in the South” - Campus Pride
“Top 50 LGBTQ Friendly Schools” - CollegeChoice