Majority Caucus members to volunteer on first day of school
Louisville (August 7, 2023) – The Louisville Metro Council Majority Caucus members are excited to announce a new initiative to support our local public schools on Wednesday, August 9, 2023.
On the first official day of school for JCPS, several Metro Council members will actively participate by volunteering at various public schools within the city. This collaborative effort demonstrates the Council’s commitment to education and the youth in our community. By personally engaging in school activities and lending a helping hand on the first day, members aim to create a welcoming environment for students, teachers, and parents.
“As a former teacher I can attest that all schools need some extra help on the first day. Day one is crucial to setting high expectations for the rest of the year. I’m excited my colleagues are joining me in this effort,” said Councilwoman Ruhe (D-21).
Council members will be involved in a variety of activities such as greeting students at school entrances, assisting with directing traffic, and engaging with teachers, parents, and students.
Volunteer Schedule on Wednesday, August 9
- 7:15 AM - Caucus Chair, Councilwoman Paula McCraney (D-7) will be volunteering in the car rider line and welcoming students at Wilder Elementary (1913 Herr Lane)
- 7:45 AM - Councilwoman Betsy Ruhe (D-21) and staff will be joining a group of women to help welcome students at Frederick Law Olmsted Academy South (5650 Southern Parkway)
- 8:00 AM - Councilwoman Donna Purvis (D-5) will be volunteering at The Academy @ Shawnee (4001 Herman Street)
- 8:30 AM - Councilman Ben Reno-Weber (D-8) will be volunteering at Hawthorne Elementary (2301 Clarendon Avenue) from 8:30 – 9:40 AM
- 9:00 AM - Councilwoman Betsy Ruhe (D-21) will be volunteering at Indian Trail Elementary (3709 E. Indian Trail)
- 9:00 AM - Councilwoman Tammy Hawkins (D-1) will be greeting parents and students and directing them throughout the school at Maupin Elementary (1312 Catalpa Street)
- 9:00 AM - Councilman Jecorey Arthur (D-4) will be volunteering at Brandeis Elementary (2817 W. Kentucky Street) from 9 – 10 AM
- 9:10 AM - Councilwoman Jennifer Chappell (D-15) will be welcoming students and helping them get to class at Semple Elementary (724 Denmark Street)
- 10:30 AM - Councilman Andrew Owen (D-9) will be volunteering in the cafeteria at Chenoweth Elementary (3622 Brownsboro Road) from 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- 3:00 PM - Councilman Jecorey Arthur (D-4) will be volunteering at Brandeis Elementary (2817 W. Kentucky Street) from 3 – 4:30 PM