Release of County Attorney’s 2021 delinquent child support list shows worst offenders owe more than $89 million owed in back support
Jefferson County Attorney Mike O’Connell released the office’s 2021 delinquent child support list Monday, with this year’s list including audited cases owing $3,000 or more each.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has affected us all in the last year,” O’Connell said. “The children of our community need support and care, now more than ever. That’s why my office continues to seek that parents meet their financial responsibility to the children of Jefferson County.”
This year’s list of 3,467 individuals can be found online at https://louisvilleky.gov/government/county-attorney/2021-delinquent-child-support-list. A list of 1,292 individuals owing $25,000 or more appeared in a printed insert in the March 28 edition of The Courier Journal. This year’s list shows more than $89 million in total arrearages owed.
“This list includes many who have completely disregarded their obligations to their children,” O’Connell said. “My staff works every day to connect kids with the child support they need and deserve. We need the community’s help to find the individuals on this list as the information you share could be life changing to child in need.”
Child support collection offers a strong return on investment of public dollars. For every $1 spent nationally, federal child support programs collect $5.06. That figure rises to $6.04 for every $1 spent in Kentucky.
Anyone with information that could help locate someone on the list should call the Jefferson County Attorney’s child support tip line at (502) 574-0821, go online to www.louisvilleky.gov/countyattorney or visit the office at 315 W. Muhammad Ali Blvd.
2019 Delinquent Child Support Fact Sheet
Names in Insert and on Website: 3,467
Names in Insert: 1,292
Total arrearages for Insert and website: $89,158,747.43
Highest Male arrearage: $521,659.04
Highest Female arrearage: $72,520.43
Females (446) make up 12.86% of the list this year’s list, compared with 87.14% for males (3,021)
General Jefferson County Child Support Information (as of June 2020 unless noted)
• More than $66 million collected last year
• 140 Child Support employees (as of March 2021)
• 15 attorneys (as of March 2021)
• 54,894 open cases
• Only office in the state with dedicated cash window, located at 315 W. Muhammad Ali Blvd.
Legal Authority to Publish Names: KRS 405.411
(1) The Cabinet for Health and Family Services' designee under KRS 205.712(7) for the administration of child support may compile a list of the names of persons under its jurisdiction who have a child support arrearage that equals or exceeds six (6) months without payment, or fails, after receiving appropriate notice, to comply with subpoenas or warrants relating to paternity or child support proceedings as provided by 42 U.S.C. sec. 666(a)(16). The cabinet may furnish this list to the newspaper of general circulation in that county for publication.
General Criteria for both lists
Each year the theme and/or dollar amount may change but the following criteria is used on a yearly basis.
• Child support arrearage that equals or exceeds 6 months without a payment
• Open IV-D case (a person has applied for our services)
• Obligor is not incarcerated
• The case is not pending closure
• The obligor does not receive Supplement Social Security Income (SSI) as far as we know
• At least one of the obligor’s cases has been audited
• Mother and child reside in Jefferson County
For 2021, only cases with a total delinquency of at least $3,000 are listed. Obligors in the printed insert for The Courier Journal included the full list of audited cases which have a delinquency of at least $25,000.