Vision Zero Task Force
Since 2018, a coalition of stakeholders have been meeting regularly with the shared vision of reducing traffic fatalities in Jefferson County. The Vision Zero Louisville Task Force includes representatives from multiple government departments, transportation agencies, advocacy groups, healthcare organizations, universities, and law enforcement agencies. Led by the Transportation Division of Louisville Metro Government's Department of Public Works, the Vision Zero Louisville Task Force evaluates current safety projects, considers locations and strategies for future safety improvements, and works collaboratively to reduce traffic fatalities and serious injuries.
Vision Zero Louisville Task Force partners include the following agencies and organizations.
- Louisville Metro Government
- Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
- The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) owns and maintains state roads. Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District 5 serves an eight-county area, including Jefferson County. Louisville Metro Government and KYTC District 5 work in close collaboration, as many of the deadliest streets in Jefferson County are state-owned.
- Kentucky Office of Highway Safety : The Kentucky Office of Highway Safety works specifically to save lives by reducing Kentucky’s highway crashes, injuries, and fatalities through relevant data-driven, outcomes-based approaches and effective program delivery. The Kentucky Office of Highway Safety administers the state's Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP), which funds several safety projects in Jefferson County.
- University of Louisville
- J.B. Speed School of Engineering's Center for Transportation Innovation : The center is a technical resource, analyzing and offering solutions to traffic safety issues and problems.
- UofL Health : As the region's only Level I trauma center for adults, University of Louisville Hospital routinely treats victims of serious injury crashes. Louisville Metro Government and UofL Health work together while adhering to privacy laws, such as HIPAA.
- TARC : The Transit Authority of River City (TARC) is Louisville's public transit agency. Improving public transit is essential to reducing fatal and serious injury crashes.
- KIPDA : The Kentuckiana Regional Planning and Development Agency (KIPDA) is the metropolitan planning organization for the Louisville, KY region.
- Matthew's Bridge, Inc. : Advocacy organization formed by Janet Heston in honor of her son, Matthew Egger. Matthew was killed in 2020 while crossing New Cut Road near Iroquois Park.
- Center for Accessible Living : A disability rights and resource center for people with disabilities, governed by people with disabilities.
- Streets for People : Advocacy organization dedicated to making walking, biking, and transit safe and convenient for everyone.
- Open Mobility Foundation : Global nonprofit organization that develops and promotes open source mobility tools and technology.
Join the Vision Zero Louisville Task Force
Vision Zero Louisville Task Force Meeting Materials
- Vision Zero Task Force Meeting - March 17, 2023
- Vision Zero Task Force Meeting - February 17, 2023
- Vision Zero Task Force Meeting - January 20, 2023
- Vision Zero Task Force Meeting - December 16, 2022
- Vision Zero Task Force Meeting - November 18, 2022
- Vision Zero Task Force Meeting - October 21, 2022
- Vision Zero Task Force Meeting - September 16, 2022
- Vision Zero Task Force Meeting - August 19, 2022
Last updated: March 17, 2023