Without significant changes in the development of Louisville's urban landscape, urban temperatures are expected to increase over the coming decades due to the greenhouse gas effect, the displacement of trees and other natural vegetation, and the expansion of concrete, asphalt and other impervious surfaces. Rising urban temperatures have implications for public health as well as critical infrastructure preservation.
In an effort to start managing urban heat, Louisville Metro Government is offering a Cool Roof Rebate Program for both residents and businesses.
Cool Roof Rebate Program
The Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability provides rebates to property owners of $1 per square foot of cool roof installed, with a goal of incentivizing at least 100,000 square feet of cool roofs. Buildings located in Metro Council Districts 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 12, 14 and 15 are identified as high heat island areas based on the Urban Heat Management Study (2016) and will receive 70% of the available funding for Fiscal Year 2020-21. The program will continue until funds are depleted.* Rebates are limited to a maximum of three properties per property owner per fiscal year.
*Please note the Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability is only accepting applications for targeted, high-heat districts at this time. The waitlist for non-targeted districts is currently at capacity.
Don't know what district you're in? Click here to find out!
The Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability offers $1 per square foot for new or retrofit steep-slope and flat or low-sloped* cool roofs up to the maximum rebate of $2,000 for residential buildings, including multi-family*.
*Condominiums with 10 units or less qualify for a maximum rebate of $2,000. Condominiums with more than 10 units can receive a maximum of $5,000.
The Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability offers $1 per square foot of new or retrofit flat or low-sloped** cool roofs up to the maximum rebate of $5,000 and for steep-sloped cool roofs up to the maximum rebate of $10,000.
**Note - Steep-sloped roofs have a surface slope more than 16.7% (9.5 degrees). Low-sloped roofs have a surface slope less than 16.7% (9.5 degrees). A flat cool roof can be either a coating applied over an existing roof system or a new single-ply waterproofing membrane.
- Roofing products must be certified by ENERGY STAR
- Roof must be installed/applied by a contractor in good standing with the Secretary of State
- Roof must be located over an air conditioned space
- Roof can be either a coating applied over an existing roof system or a new waterproofing membrane that meets the certified performance specifications (flat or low-sloped cool roofs only)
- Property owner must be the applicant for the rebate
- Property must be located in Jefferson County
- Business entities receiving funds must comply with requirements of the Louisville Metro Revenue Commission and be registered with the Human Relations Commission
- The subject property shall not be subject to Louisville Metro liens and shall be current in the payment of all property taxes
For more information on the benefits of cool roofs, visit the Department of Energy website.
To view an interactive map of Louisville's incentivized cool roof installations, click here.
Rebates will be distributed after roof installation and upon receipt of:
- Cool Roof Rebate Application and W-9 Form
- Tax Lien Addendum
- Copy of purchase receipt (paid in full)
- Photos of completed installation
- Contractor-signed documentation of roof size
- Brand and name of shingle or roofing product installed
Documentation must be submitted within six months of application submission, or funds will be forfeited. To apply for rebates from the Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability’s Cool Roof Rebate Program, complete the online application below or email a completed application form (with the accompanying documentation) to [email protected]. The Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability’s cool roof incentive funds are available on a first-come first-served basis. Applications may be submitted before the project is completed, but funds will not be dispersed until project completion.
Fill out my online form.