Cool Roof Incentive Program
Without significant changes in the development of Louisville's urban landscape, urban temperatures are expected to increase over the coming decades due to the greenhouse gas effect, the displacement of trees and other natural vegetation, and the expansion of concrete, asphalt and other impervious surfaces. Rising urban temperatures have implications for public health as well as critical infrastructure preservation.
In an effort to start managing urban heat, Louisville Metro Government is offering a Cool Roof Incentive Program for both residents and businesses.
Cool Roof Incentive Program
The Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability provides incentives to property owners of $1 per square foot of cool roof installed, with a goal of incentivizing at least 100,000 square feet of cool roofs. Buildings located in Metro Council Districts 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 12, 14 and 15 are identified as high heat island areas based on the Urban Heat Management Study (2016) and will receive 70% of the available funding for Fiscal Year 2022. The program will continue until funds are depleted. Incentives are limited to a maximum of three properties per property owner per fiscal year.
ALL COOL ROOF INCENTIVE FUNDS RECEIVED AFTER JANUARY 1, 2021 WILL BE CONSIDERED TAXABLE INCOME, WHERE APPLICABLE. IF THE INCENTIVE AMOUNT IS OVER $600, THE APPLICANT WILL RECEIVE A 1099-MISC FORM TO USE WHEN REPORTING TAXABLE INCOME.
Don't know what district you're in? Click here to find out!
The Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability offers $1 per square foot for new or retrofit steep-slope and flat or low-sloped* cool roofs up to the maximum incentive of $2,000 for residential buildings, including multi-family*.
*Condominiums with 10 units or less qualify for a maximum incentive of $2,000. Condominiums with more than 10 units can receive a maximum of $5,000.
The Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability offers $1 per square foot of new or retrofit flat or low-sloped** cool roofs up to the maximum incentive of $5,000 and for steep-sloped cool roofs up to the maximum incentive of $10,000.
**Note - Steep-sloped roofs have a surface slope more than 16.7% (9.5 degrees). Low-sloped roofs have a surface slope less than 16.7% (9.5 degrees). A flat cool roof can be either a coating applied over an existing roof system or a new single-ply waterproofing membrane.
- Roofing products must be certified by ENERGY STAR or the Cool Roof Rating Council
- Roof must be installed/applied by a contractor in good standing with the Secretary of State
- Roof must be located over an air conditioned space
- Roof can be either a coating applied over an existing roof system or a new waterproofing membrane that meets the certified performance specifications (flat or low-sloped cool roofs only)
- Roof must have been installed no more than three (3) years before the application submission date
- Property owner must be the applicant for the rebate
- Property must be located in Jefferson County
- Business entities receiving funds must comply with requirements of the Louisville Metro Revenue Commission and be registered with the Human Relations Commission
- The subject property shall not be subject to Louisville Metro liens and shall be current in the payment of all property taxes
For more information on the benefits of cool roofs, visit the Department of Energy website.
To view an interactive map of Louisville's incentivized cool roof installations, click here.
Incentives will be distributed after roof installation and upon receipt of:
- Cool Roof Incentive Application and W-9 Form
- Tax Lien Addendum
- Copy of purchase receipt (paid in full)
- Canceled check copy, credit/debit card statement, or money/bank transfer confirmation
- Three (3) photos of completed installation
- Contractor-signed documentation of roof size
- Contractor-signed documentation of brand and name of product installed
Roofs must have been installed no more than three (3) years before the application submission date. Documentation must be submitted within six months of application submission, or funds will be forfeited. To apply for incentives from the Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability’s Cool Roof Incentive Program, complete the online application below or email a completed application form (with the accompanying documentation) to [email protected]. The Office of Advanced Planning and Sustainability’s cool roof incentive funds are available on a first-come first-served basis. Applications may be submitted before the project is completed, but funds will not be dispersed until project completion.
Fill out my online form.