The Louisville Metro Office of Resilience and Community Services (RCS) offers the Microbusiness Program which helps low and moderate income individuals either start a microbusiness or improve a pre-existing one. The Microbusiness Program includes training, technical assistance and an opportunity to apply for a loan. A microbusiness employs five or fewer people, including the owner (See the Program Eligibility section below to find out if your business qualifies for services).
Click here to inquire about resources and assistance for your small business.
New! You can now make a Microbusiness loan payment on-line!
You now have the ability to click here and make a payment.
Many microbusinesses have little or no access to the commercial banking sector. (RCS) has created a revolving micro-loan program. The loans can be financed up to six years with a preference towards shorter-term loans. The repayment period will begin 30 days after the loan closing.
There are two programs available:
- The Ignite Loan Program is for businesses that have been open for at least one year. The loans range from $5,000 to $15,000, with an interest rate of 4%.
- The Spark Loan Program is for start-up businesses or businesses that have been open for less than one year. The loans range from $500 to $4,999, with 0% interest.
Click here to download the revolving loan application.
Upcoming Trainings and Events
- Exploring Entrepreneurship is a free, 1-hour workshop introducing self-employment and small business resources. Workshops are held the second Tuesday of every month. To register, click here.
- Money Smart for Small Business Series comprise of sessions where aspiring business owners can learn about credit reporting, managing cash flow, and time management. View here for the next series.
- Lunch & Learn Sessions discuss some federally recognized certifications and programs including Women-Owned Small Business Program, Veteran-Owned Small Business Program, and more! The next classes in the series are Feb. 28, March 14, and March 28, 2018. Read more.
- Entrepreneurship Fundamentals is a free, five-week series offered by RCS. It teaches the basic steps of writing a business plan and starting a business. Stay tuned for the new classes.
- Microbusiness Development Program provides Micro-Mini loans which are available up to $500. Click here to see the credit builder loan qualifications.
- Free Professional Financial Coaching. Call Rosie Wright at 502-612-0819 or 270-847-4643 to learn all about what a financial coach can offer and to set up an appointment. View here.2018FinancialCoaching.pdf
Microbusiness 5th Anniversary Celebration
The Microbusiness staff and other community partners were proud to honor more than 150 microbusinesses serviced by RCS' Microbusiness Development Program at our 5th anniversary celebration on October 20, 2015. Read the 5-year Summary Report.
We are so proud of the numerous successes experienced by Louisville's microbusiness owners, and training participants. Click here to enjoy a sampling, or click here to read an article from the Courier Journal about one of our participiants.
Technical Assistance and Outreach
The RCS microbusiness team provides technical assistance to business owners. Outreach services strengthen the assistance to small businesses through strategic partnerships in the small business community. RCS works with Louisville Metro’s Economic Growth and Innovation Office and other organizations in Louisville to assist small businesses. Services include:
- Pre-assessment counseling
- Business coaching
- Client referrals
- Community events and networking
- Business workshops
- Power Focus Microbusiness Roundtable meetings
Individuals or businesses that qualify for the program include:
- Businesses that employ five or fewer employees including the owner.
- The business must be located within Louisville/Jefferson County and the owner(s) must also live in Louisville.
- The business owner’s household income must fall at or below 80% of Area Median Income (AMI).
|Persons in Household||80% of AMI|
|1||$37,200 or less|
|2||$42,500 or less|
|3||$47,800 or less|
|4||$53,150 or less|
|5||$57,350 or less|
|6||$61,600 or less|
Please click here for additional Micro-Enterprise resources.