Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Enrollment for LIHEAP Summer Subsidy Opens July 25
On July 25, 2023, the Louisville Metro Office of Resilience and Community Services joins with Community Action Agencies across the state to begin accepting applications for the 2023 Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Summer Subsidy Cooling Component and the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). These federally-funded programs are designed to help offset the cost of higher utility bills. Applications will be accepted beginning July 25, 2023, through Sept. 22, 2023, or until funds are depleted.
Applicants for the LIHEAP Summer Subsidy and LIHWAP program must be residents of Jefferson County with a household income at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty guidelines (e.g. for a household of four, the gross monthly income cannot exceed $3,750). The LIHEAP Summer Subsidy component provides households a one-time benefit ranging from $50 to $250 depending on income levels and housing category. Residents can apply regardless of the status of their utility bills. The benefit amount is paid directly to the electric vendor (i.e. LG&E). The LIHWAP program also provides a one-time benefit ranging from $50 to $100 depending on income levels.
Jefferson County residents wishing to apply must schedule an appointment utilizing the automated appointment system. Appointments can be scheduled by phone by calling 502-991-8391 or online at louisvilleky.cascheduler.com. The toll-free service is currently open and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Required documentation includes:
• Proof of Social Security Number or Permanent Residence card (Green Card) for each member of the household.
• Proof of all household’s (all members) income from the preceding month. (Ex. Food Stamp award letter, Social Security Award Letter, pay stubs, etc. or other proof of $0 income). Note: Zero Income forms are available at the LIHEAP locations or online at www.louisvilleky.gov/LIHEAP
• Most current electric bill, water/wastewater bill, or statement from your landlord if electric and/or water/wastewater is included in your rent, or statement from utility company if you participate in a Pre-Pay Electric Program. The account number and name on the electric bill must also be provided.
There are seven LIHEAP locations for the 2023 LIHEAP Summer Subsidy program
• South Central Neighborhood Place, 4255 Hazelwood Ave., 40215
• Ujima Neighborhood Place, 3610 Bohne Ave., 40211
• Bridges of Hope Neighborhood Place,1411 Algonquin Pkwy., 40210
• Newburg Community Center, 4810 Exeter Ave., 40218
• Cane Run Neighborhood Place, 3410 Lees Lane, 40216
• Northwest Neighborhood Place, 4018 W. Market St., 40212
• Charmoli Neighborhood Place, 9100 Marksfield Rd., Ste. 100, 40222
For more information about this process on how to apply for LIHEAP programs, please contact Metro311 by simply dialing 311 or 574-5000, or by contacting them through their service page found here. (https://louisvilleky.gov/government/metro311)
LIHEAP is made possible by the United States Department of Health and Human Services and by the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services. For more information about Louisville Metro Office of Resilience and Community Services -- visit our website at https://louisvilleky.gov/government/resilience-and-community-services or contact Community Action Kentucky at 1-800-456-3452.
Helpful forms when applying for LIHEAP and the MSD Discount Programs (click on links below to download):
- Note: No LIHEAP Application is needed in advance. Intake will be conducted with the LIHEAP worker in-person at the time of appointment.
- Proof of no income form (LIHEAP)
- 2022 MSD Senior Citizen Discount Program
- Family Member Profile form (LIHEAP)
- Designated Representative form (LIHEAP)
- Certificate of Utility Responsibility (LIHEAP)
Need help managing your energy usage?
The WeCare Program works to help income-eligible LG&E customers lower their utility bills and provides a safer, more comfortable home. More importantly, LG&E helps customers learn how to be more efficient – whether it’s through your own energy conservation efforts, or through the installation of energy-saving devices. Eligibility requirements include:
Customers who meet the program’s requirements can call 1-800-356-5467 or visit lge-ku.com/wecare to sign up.