The Louisville Metro Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) is a regional affiliate of the Corporation of National & Community Service, and has served Louisville and Jefferson County since 1973 (40 years!!). RSVP recruits, supports, and promotes recognition of adult volunteers age 55 and better for their volunteer service with local agencies.
RSVP has had a dynamic history with many transitions and accomplishments. The program was originally established in Jefferson County by Metro United Way, transitioned to Louisville Metro Community Action Partnership in 1999, until its current home with Louisville Metro Community Services where it has been since 2010. Over the past 40 years the RSVP program has had over 13,000 active volunteers total with a record peak of 1,100 active volunteers in one year! RSVP volunteers have served in a wide variety of service agencies, touching all areas of need in the local Louisville community. And, many volunteers, service sites, and staff have received prestigious honors and awards over the years.
Honors/Awards presented to RSVP volunteers, service stations, and staff:
- Corporation for National & Community Service Impact Award (Best Practices – Healthy Futures)
- WLKY Bell Award
- J.C. Penney Golden Rule Award
- Jean Bocko Humana Gold Plus Award
- Jefferson County “Senior of the Year” Award
- Shawnee H.S. Hall of Fame Inductee
- Ford Acts “John Breitenstein Award”
- Governor’s Award (National Service Volunteer & State Volunteer Coordinator)
- Points of Light Award
- Olympic Torch bearers
- Kentucky Association for Adult & Continuing Education (KAACE) Outstanding Volunteer Award
- And many more!
Aside from the awards and the statistics, RSVP is about SENIORS and the positive impact they can make by generously providing their service to the community. Please take some time (which may take a while!) to read some the amazing stories and experiences of our past and current participants in our Newsletter Archive (link to Newsletter page).
Thank you for visiting our site and supporting senior volunteerism and RSVP!