If you don't leave your clippings on your lawn or maintain a home composting system, follow these guidelines for curbside collection.
Yard Waste Collection accepts these items:
- Leaves, twigs, straw, pine needles
- Shrubbery trimmings
- Branches and tree trimmings - must be less than 2 inches in diameter and less than 4 feet long
- Wood ash
- Christmas trees (seasonally) - remove all decorations, no bag or container needed
- Acceptable items in paper bags.
- Acceptable items in durable metal or plastic containers, 20-40 gallon capacity, with handles, weighing no more than 60 pounds
Yard Waste Collection does NOT accept these items:
- Dirt, rock & gravel
- Litter or trash from yard
- Plastic items - including, but not limited to, flower pots, plant tags, empty mulch and soil bags
- Large limbs & tree stumps - larger than 2 inches diameter and longer than 4 feet
- Wrong containers - material may not be in city garbage or recycling carts OR plastic bags
- Containers without handles and/or weighing more than 60 pounds
- Piles not contained or bundled
Live outside the Urban Services District? Collection of garbage, yard waste and recycling outside the Urban Services District varies by location. Residents living in small cities within Jefferson County should contact the city administrator for more information. Residents of unincorporated areas must contract directly with a private waste collection company. Not sure? Use the MyLouisville tool to find out more information about your address.
For tree trunks and other material not meeting the guidelines, drop off is available at the Waste Reduction Center. Fees apply.