The Solid Waste Management Services Division collects garbage from residential buildings having eight or fewer units, condominiums, and small businesses generating less than six containers of garbage per week within the Urban Services District (see map).
Live outside the Urban Services District? Collection of garbage, yard waste and recycling outside the Urban Services District varies by location. Residents living in small cities within Jefferson County should contact the city administrator for more information. Residents of unincorporated areas must contract directly with a private waste collection company.
Not sure about your address? Use the MyLouisville tool to find out if your address is within Louisville Metro's service area and if so, when garbage collection occurs.
Urban Services District Residents: Garbage carts are provided to residents within the Urban Services District free of charge. The serial number printed on the cart is associated with a specific address where it must remain if a resident moves. Garbage carts are the property of Louisville Metro. Order a garbage cart or report a missing or damaged cart. (Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery)
Do's & Don'ts:
- All items must be inside cart with the lid closed.
- Maximum cart weight load is 200 pounds.
- Place cart at the edge of curb or alley at least three feet from other carts, buildings or objects with the arrow pointing toward the street.
- Do not block sidewalks.
- Garbage must be set at the curb or the alley no later than 6 AM on collection day, but no earlier than 4 PM the day before collection day.
- All containers must be removed from the street or alley no later than 4 PM the day after collection.
- Syringes and broken glass should be placed in a rigid container with a tight-fitting lid before being put into cart.
- NOT PERMITTED: Human waste, household hazardous waste, liquid paint, and construction, remodeling & demolition materials.
- Animal waste should be placed in a plastic bag before being put into cart.
Waste collection does not occur in the Urban Services District on Metro Government Holidays. Some holidays are "no collection-no delay" holidays and residents affected by that holiday will resume their collections the following week. The other holidays incur a one day delay and all collections for the remainder of the week are also delayed one day.
Metro Government Holidays
New Year's Day - no collection-no delay
Martin Luther King Jr. Day - no collection-no delay
Memorial Day - no collection-no delay
Independence Day - one day delay for affected collection day and the remainder of the week
Labor Day - no collection-no delay
Thanksgiving Day - one day delay for affected collection day and the remainder of the week
Christmas Day - one day delay for affected collection day and the remainder of the week