The Solid Waste Management Services Division collects garbage from residential buildings having eight or fewer units, condominiums, and small businesses generating no more than four 95-gallon containers of garbage/recycling per week within the Urban Services District.
Live outside the Urban Services District? Collection of garbage, yard waste and recycling outside the Urban Services District varies by location. Residents living in small cities within Jefferson County should contact the city administrator for more information. Residents of unincorporated areas must contract directly with a private waste collection company.
Not sure about your address? Go to the city's homepage at Louisvilleky.gov and click on Address Lookup icon:
Type in your address and pick it in the dropdown menu to find out if it is within Louisville Metro's service area and if so, when garbage collection occurs.
Urban Services District Residents: Garbage carts are provided to residents within the Urban Services District free of charge. The serial number printed on the cart is associated with a specific address where it must remain if a resident moves. Garbage carts are the property of Louisville Metro. Order a garbage cart or report a missing or damaged cart.
Do's & Don'ts:
- All items must be inside cart with the lid closed.
- Maximum cart weight load is 200 pounds.
- Place cart at the edge of curb or alley at least three feet from other carts, buildings or objects with the arrow pointing toward the street.
- Do not block sidewalks.
- Garbage must be set at the curb or the alley no later than 6 AM on collection day, but no earlier than 4 PM the day before collection day.
- All containers must be removed from the street or alley no later than 4 PM the day after collection.
- Syringes and broken glass should be placed in a rigid container with a tight-fitting lid before being put into cart.
- NOT PERMITTED: Human waste, household hazardous waste, liquid paint, and construction, remodeling & demolition materials.
- Animal waste should be placed in a plastic bag before being put into cart.
Waste collection does not occur in the Urban Services District on Metro Government Holidays. Holidays incur a one day delay and all collections for the remainder of the week are also delayed one day.
Metro Government Holidays - one day delay for affected collection day and the remainder of the week
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Juneteenth Freedom Day, June 19 (observed on June 20, 2022)
View the Know Waste Webinar about Louisville's waste collection system: