Changing a common behavior like littering starts with you!
- Choose not to litter. Make a commitment to always dispose of your trash properly and set an example for others.
- Understand litter laws in Louisville Metro. Share this information with others.
- If you see litter, pick it up! People tend to litter more in already littered areas.
- Report a litterer online now.
- Keep your trash and recycling in the cart. Your trash and recycling should always be inside your carts with the lid closed. This will keep unwanted animals from opening bags, creating litter. Residents in the Urban Services District can request a cart repair or purchase an additional cart. All other residents should contact their waste hauler about containers.
- Garbage, recycling, and yard waste containers must be removed from alley or curb after collection. Containers left out may be damaged, stolen, or vulnerable to scavenging. Removing them from the ally or curb reduces litter and keeps the area cleaner.
- Pick up litter around your home and neighborhood. People tend to litter more in already littered areas. Help set the standard for your residence.
- Large items may only be set out according to collection rules of your waste hauler. Piles of junk set out at the wrong time attract unwanted animals and scavengers, creating litter. Residents living within the Urban Services District can schedule a Large Item Pickup appointment. All residents of Louisville Metro may drop off up to four large household items for free at the Waste Reduction Center (disposal fees may apply for additional items) or attend one of our Pop-Up Drop-Off events.
- Use trash and ash receptacles. Before you light up, identify where you will dispose of your cigarette waste when you finish.
- Carry a pocket ashtray. No matter where you are, you'll always be able to discard your cigarette waste properly.
- Encourage fellow smokers to be responsible for their cigarette litter, too.
- Use a car litter bag. When it is full or every time you fill your gas tank, empty it into a trash and/or recycling receptacle.
- Use a car ashtray or portable ashtray to dispose of cigarette butts. Do not flick cigarettes out of vehicle windows. Report a litterer.
- Never throw trash out of vehicle windows. Report a litterer.
- Secure your loads. If you are transporting large items, be sure to secure them. It is against the law to drop destructive or injurious material on a highway without immediately removing it.
- Pick up after your dog as you walk. Use newspaper delivery bags, "scoopers", or other easy-to-use methods to clean up after your pet.
- Place pet waste in a trash receptacle. Do not put pet waste in recycling bins.