Volunteer Opportunities with LMPD
Mission: The Louisville Metro Police Department's volunteer program provides needed support to the LMPD sworn and civilian personnel to allow LMPD to deliver effective law enforcement services to the community.
Vision: The Louisville Metro Police Department's volunteers and police personnel work in valued partnership utilizing vast resources, ideas and skills providing the highest quality law enforcement services, creating an exceptional quality of life for the citizens of Louisville Metro.
The Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) provides law enforcement services to over 1 million people covering 385 square miles. The LMPD volunteers provide about 1,900 hours of monthly service allowing LMPD police officers more time to provide law enforcement services to the Louisville Metro community.
The Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS) program was established in 1999. It has been a huge success and continues to grow. Currently, the LMPD VIPS program has approximately 75 civilian volunteers including 14 volunteer chaplains. In addition, there are also approximately 60 volunteer members with LMPD's Explorer Program. All of these volunteers have assisted the department in numerous avenues throughout the year.
As a volunteer with the LMPD, there are vast opportunities for service. We work with each volunteer to help find the right fit regarding time commitment, special qualifications and individual volunteer goals. You can commit to one, or more than one, of the opportunities listed below. If you feel you have a valuable services to offer that is not listed, we want to know that too.
- Special Events - Volunteers are asked to help the LMPD at various events throughout the year. The volunteer represents the LMPD at these events by answering questions and providing resources to the citizens.
- Division Advisory Board - As a member of a LMPD Division Advisory Board, you assist that division with its needs. Click here to go the the Patrol Divisions page.
- Chaplain - A LMPD Chaplain assists the department personnel in handling a variety of crisis situations and provides our citizens with service in time of personal crisis or tragedy. This volunteer position has limited openings. To find out more, please email Sergeant Phil Russell.
- Explorer Program - The Louisville Metro Police Explorer Program is for young men and women, ages 14 through 19, who are interested in a career in law enforcement. The Explorer Program emphasizes community involvement, character development and leadership.
- Administrative Assistance - Volunteers assist office staff with various clerical duties: filing, typing, copying, stuffing envelopes and answering phones.
- Neighborhood Watch Captain - The Neighborhood Watch Captain coordinates the Neighborhood Watch Program within the neighborhood. Neighborhood watches empower our citizens to work together to help reduce crime as well as watch for and report unusual activity around residences and businesses. To find out more, please email LMPD Neighborhood Watch.
To become a VIPS member, you must first attend and graduate from the Citizens Police Academy. Please click here for more information.
If you have previously graduated from the Citizens Police Academy and would like to become a VIPS member, please print all of the following forms, fill them out completely (including a signature) and fax back to 502-574-2149 or mail them to Louisville Metro Police Department; Attn: Miss Stigall; 633 W. Jefferson Street; Louisville, KY 40202. All applicants will be subjected to a background check and submission of this application implies consent to a background check.
If you would like more information about the VIPS program, please contact LMPD Volunteers.