Historic Preservation & Urban Design
Responsibilities of the Historic Preservation and Urban Design Team
- Serves as staff to the Historic Landmarks & Preservation Districts Commission and its Architectural Review Committees (ARCs), the Bardstown Road/Baxter Avenue Corridor Review Overlay Committee (BROD), the Downtown Development Review Overlay District Committee (DDRO), and the NuLu Review Overlay District Committee (NROD)
- Provides guidance and assistance to citizens and business owners in relation to Louisville Metro's preservation and design overlay ordinances
- Reviews applications for Certificates of Appropriateness (COAs) for work being carried out in any of the seven locally designated Historic Preservation Districts and to Individual Landmarks
- Reviews applications for Overlay Permits for work being carried out in any of the three Design Overlay Districts
- Prepares designation reports for requests to establish local Historic Preservation Districts and Individual Landmarks
Louisville Metro's Local Preservation Districts and Individual Landmarks
Local Preservation District and Individual Landmark designations recognize, preserve, and protect Louisville Metro's significant historic and architectural resources. The designation establishes a local process for design review of all exterior alterations, demolition, and new construction. With oversight from the Historic Landmarks and Preservation Districts Commission, this review process is conducted by the staff and ARCs. Projects are evaluated in accordance with approved Design Guidelines. These guidelines do not dictate styles or specific designs. The guidelines provide an overview of the distinctive characteristics and the statement of principles and standards governing exterior alterations to structures or properties.
Louisville Metro's Design Overlay Districts
Design Overlay Districts are intended to promote compatibility of development with existing land use and design features. Within designated areas, proposed developments and physical changes to the exterior of a building are reviewed in accordance with established principles and guidelines addressing urban design elements. This review process is conducted by the staff and Overlay District Committees. Projects are evaluated in accordance with approved Design Guidelines. These guidelines do not dictate styles or specific designs. The guidelines provide an overview of the distinctive characteristics of each district and the statement of principles and standards governing exterior alterations to structures or properties.
Certificate of Appropriateness and Overlay Permit Requirements
Pending Individual Landmark Designation Requests
Learn more about pending and recently reviewed designation requests.
Standard Design Guideline Update
Staff and the Historic Landmarks & Preservation Districts Commission are currently reviewing the Design Guidelines.
Preservation Programs and Projects
Staff is currently managing several programs and projects, including those subject to grants.
Historic Structures and Preservation Worthy Sites
Staff identified several historic structures and sites throughout Louisville Metro that are worthy of preservation.
Need more information?
Please call (502)574-6230 with any questions.