Step 1. Application and Approval Determination
A project involving physical changes to the exterior of a building, structure, or property within a Design Overlay District shall require prior approval in the form of an Overlay Permit. PDS reviews development proposals for compliance in three Overlay Districts: the Bardstown Road / Baxter Avenue Corridor Overlay District (BROD), the Downtown Development Review Overlay District (DDRO), and the NuLu Review Overlay District (NROD). An approval requires substantial conformance to design guidelines established for each overlay district.
1. Submit an application for a Overlay Permit. Applications must be submitted by Friday to be distributed to Case Managers the following Monday.
2. Case Managers have two weeks to review your proposal and determine whether the proposal is a staff- or committee-level application.
3. If the Case Manager determines that the proposal needs review by the appropriate overlay committee, the application will be placed on the next available docket for a public meeting.
Step 2. DDRO, BROD, NROD Committees
1. The appropriate Committee (DDRO, BROD, or NROD) reviews your application at a public meeting. Once a date is set for the DDRO, BROD, or NROD meeting, you are required to send public notification to adjacent property owners by mail. Neighbors must be sent notification 14 days prior to the meeting for the DDRO. Neighbors must be sent notification 10 days prior to the meeting for the BROD or NROD. Click here for additional information on public notices. Once you have mailed the public notices, you will need to fill out and submit an affidavit of notification.
2. The Case Manager prepares a staff report prior to the meeting. The staff report and agenda are provided in advance to the Committee members for their review, and are posted the Friday before the following week's meeting here.
3. The public meeting is held.
- DDRO meetings are typically held on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month starting at 8:30 a.m. at the Old Jail Auditorium (514 W Liberty Street) or the Metro Development Center (444 S 5th Street).
- BROD meetings are typically held on any Tuesday of the month starting at 12:00 p.m. at the Old Jail Auditorium (514 W Liberty Street) or the Metro Development Center (444 S 5th Street).
- NROD meetings are typically held on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month starting at 12:00 p.m. at the Old Jail Auditorium (514 W Liberty Street) or the Metro Development Center (444 S 5th Street).
There may be multiple cases on an agenda. You will have the opportunity to address the Committee concerning your application.
4. At the meeting in which your request is considered, the Committee will make a motion to take a vote on the proposal to approve the application, approve the application with conditions, deny the application, or continue the case to another meeting. The final action is based on conformance to the applicable design guidelines.