Changes to the Boarding and Group Housing Regulations
Metro Council recognizes that boarding and group housing may not be adequately regulated and enforced in residential areas and has asked Planning & Design Services (PDS) to carry out a review of local ordinances concerning group housing. Group housing is housing that is temporary in nature and includes boarding houses, transitional houses, rehabilitation homes, and homeless shelters. In this context, it does not include hotels, short term rentals, and bed & breakfast inns.
To view responses to Frequently Asked Questions related to the existing boarding house regulations, please click here.
Before submitting recommendations to the Planning Commission and Metro Council, PDS wanted to hear from the community. In advance and addition to the required public hearing before the Planning Commission, staff held three virtual meetings to get input and ideas from citizens. The meetings were held October 2020 and can be watched at the links below.
- Community Meeting Flyer
- Community Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- October 14, 2020 Meeting Recording (Part 1 and Part 2)
- October 17, 2020 Meeting Recording
- October 21, 2020 Meeting Recording
Staff Report and Preliminary Amendment Recommendations
Please click on the links below to access a staff report and preliminary amendment recommendations. Beginning on February 9, 2021 with the initial posting of this material, a public comment period commenced. Staff strongly encouraged the community to comment and provide feedback on the written recommended changes. All comments submitted by April 15, 2021 via the form below below are part of the record.
- Metro Council Resolution Pertaining to Boarding and Group Housing
- Boarding and Group Housing Staff Report - Revised for 4/15/21 hearing
- Planning Commission Recommended Boarding and Group Housing Amendments - Revised for 4/15/21 hearing
The draft amendments are currently under review by the Metro Council. This is the third formal procedural step. Following the Planning Commission's review and recommendation, amendments are reviewed by Metro Council and other cities with zoning authority that choose to take up the matter.
- Planning Committee: March 15, 2021 (click here to view a recording of the meeting)
- Planning Commission: April 15, 2021 (click here to view a recording of the meeting)
- Metro Council: To be determined
We Want To Hear From You!
While the public hearing has been held and public comment period is now closed, staff continues to want to hear from the community. Please provide comments and ideas on changes to the boarding and group housing regulations by filling out the following comment form. You may also contact Joe Haberman at (502)574-6230 or email him with any questions or comments.