Rentals and Permits


Host Your Event with Us! 

From birthday parties to festivals, we’ve got you covered!  

To ensure guaranteed use of a park shelter, reservation is required. Park shelters that have not been rented are available to the public on a first come, first serve basis provided the activity does not include any of the features listed under the “Do I Need a Permit” section. Call Louisville Parks and Recreation for more information at (502) 574-7275 (PARK) or email us


PARKS | Shelter Reservations Button
PARKS | Ball Field Reservations Button
PARKS | Special Event Permit Button
PARKS | Belvedere Event Permit Button

Do I need a permit?

Outdoor Activities and Events which include any of the features listed below require a Permit:  

  • 250 or more people 

  • Advertising or sponsorship activities  

  • Alcohol (must be approved by the Louisville Parks and Recreation Director) 

  • Amplified sound (e.g. loudspeakers, amplifiers, powered megaphones)  

  • Animals (e.g. petting zoo, pony rides, horses)  

  • Ceremonies and weddings  

  • Exercise classes or boot camps  

  • Field usage for games and practices (included in field reservation process) 

  • Inflatables  

  • Selling and/or distributing merchandise, services or food (e.g. vendors)  

Type of Events

Shelter Rental 

Private Function 

Special Event 

  • Using a shelter at or below capacity for personal/private use 

Includes Any of the Following: 

  • Using a shelter over capacity but under 250 people 

  • Renting a non-shelter park space 

  • Weddings or Ceremonies 

  • Renting Inflatables 

Includes Any of the Following: 

  • 250+ people 

  • Advertising or sponsorships 

  • Amplified sound 

  • Animals 

  • Selling merchandise, food, or services 

  • Large or multiple tents/canopies 

  • Walk/run/bike or Parade 

No Permit Needed 

Private Function Permit Required 

Special Event Permit Required 

No Event Insurance Needed 

No Event Insurance Needed 

Event Insurance Required 

No Security Plan Needed 

No Security Plan Needed 

Security Plan Required 

Cost of Shelter (varies by size) 

$150 Fee 

$250 Starting Fee  

Ball Field Reservations 

Ball fields are reserved through the same process as a shelter reservations.
Online reservations must be made at least 14 days prior to the practice or game.

Call (502) 574-7275 (PARK) to make a reservation for a practice if there is less than 14-days until the practice. 

Please call Metro Parks Athletics to reserve the following fields:

  • Hays Kennedy
  • Louisville Champions
  • Seneca
  • Shawnee (Harmony Field only)
  • Thurman Hutchins 
  • Wyandotte

    Special Event Permitting Process 

    1. Complete an Event Packet with as much detail as possible and submit at least 30 days prior to the event 

    1. Complete an Event Layout at least 30 days prior to the event including but not limited to:

      1. areas of the park you plan to use 

      2. location of tents, vendors, port-a-lets

      3. parking, road closures, or traffic points 

    2. The Special Events Team will review your event application and will forward it to Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) for safety approval 

    3. Once the Special Events Team and LMPD sign off a Special Event Permit will be submitted for your signature  

    1. Submit your proof of event insurance, the signed permit, and payment at least 14 days before the event.

    Frequently Asked Questions 

    What permits do I need for my big event?

    It depends on what features your event will have. At minimum you will need a Special Event Permit from Louisville Parks and Recreation. Other required permits are based off the event features you would like to have. For example, having vendors requires an additional permit and fee.  

    I want to have vendors selling food or merchandise, what do I need to do?  

    You will need a Master Vendor Permit.

    Do I need permission to have alcoholic beverages? 

    Yes, you will need prior approval from Louisville Parks and Recreation, a City of Louisville alcoholic beverage license (temporary or caterer's), a Kentucky State alcoholic beverage license (temporary or caterer's) and Proof of liquor liability insurance with Louisville Metro as additionally insured to serve alcoholic beverages. 
    *Permits for alcoholic beverages are granted at the discretion of the Louisville Parks and Recreation Director. 

    Can I have a large event tent? 

    Yes, but for large tents bigger than 400 square feet you will need a tent permit from Louisville Inspections, Permits and Licenses. 

    Can I close the street around the park? 

    Yes, but you will need to:   

    • Apply for a Street Closing Permit from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, if a state road will be closed.
    • Provide and/or pay for barricades for street closings and placement must be approved in advance by Louisville Metro Police Department and Louisville Inspections, Permits and Licenses. 
    • Notify affected businesses and residents of street closures. 
    Can I bring my own generator to my event? 

    No, generators are not permitted except for by approved vendors (ex. approved Inflatable companies) and at Metro sponsored events. 

    How do I know if my event needs security or how much security I need? 

    You can work with our Special Events team and our list of approved security companies to assess your event’s security needs. 

    How do I get event insurance? 

    Many insurance companies offer event insurance. Ask your provider or search major insurance providers.   

    Contact us at (502) 574-7275 (PARK) or email us. 

    Enter your address and MyLouisville will find nearby city services in the following categories:

    • Garbage Icon Solid Waste Services
    • Police Badge Icon Emergency Services
    • Political Info Icon Political Info
    • House Icon General Location Info

    Find your garbage, recycling, yard waste and large-item set-out dates. Sign up for large-item set out and street sweeping reminders by email and text!

    The new Metro311 Reporting System and our new 311 mobile app is live!

    Report Something to Us!

    Call MetroCall at 311 or (502) 574-5000

    No service has been selected.

    No form has been selected.