1888 Mayor Charles Jacob purchases Burnt Knob (named Jacob Park, later Iroquois).
1890 Board of Parks Commissioners of the City of Louisville established by law and vote of the people. Intent is to have a park in each portion of the city: west, south and east. City conveys all park land (including Baxter and Jacob) to the Board.
1942 Board of Parks Commissioners replaced by City Department of Parks and Recreation. First Director of Parks and Recreation (also last secretary of the old Parks Commission) is T.B. Morgan.
1944 Jefferson County Playground and Recreation Board begins, with funding from Fiscal Court and free use of County Board of Education school sites. County neighborhood committee system to support recreation starts.
1946 Jefferson Memorial Forest's initial tracts acquired. Charlie Vettiner becomes director of Jefferson County Playground and Recreation Board, succeeding Ray Baer, who served from 1944.
1956 City Parks and Recreation Department headed by William Moore. “Rainbow Chain of County Parks” land acquisition continues in high gear by County: Cox (1952), Chenoweth (now Vettiner, 1957), Hounz Lane (1958) and Long Run (1960).
1961 City Parks and Recreation Department headed by George Kincaid. McNeely Park acquisition by County begins.
1968 City and County parks and recreation departments merged, forming Metropolitan Park and Recreation Board ("Metro Parks"). First Director is Charlie Vettiner. County parks equal 3,338 acres, including 1,721 in the Memorial Forest, supervised playgrounds, swimming pools, community buildings, golf courses, camping areas, cultural arts center, etc. City parks have 2,211 acres of major parks as well as 11 community centers, playgrounds, swimming pools, golf courses, etc.
1986 Louisville & Jefferson County Compact adopted. Metropolitan Parks and Recreation Board is dissolved, replaced by an Advisory Commission. The department administers 9,375 acres, with 137 parks and the Memorial Forest, and various other recreational facilities. City and County governments each provide funding for operation and improvement of parks, according to each park's location.
2003 Metro Parks becomes a department of Louisville/Jefferson County Metro Government, as City and County governments merge. Michael J. Heitz becomes director of Metro Parks. Iroquois Amphitheater reopens after extensive $8.6 million restoration.
2004 Louisville Tennis Center reopens with new operator after falling into disrepair two years before. Three years later, it will grow from 9 to 11 clay courts. Two of Louisville Metro's historic properties – Locust Grove and Riverside, the Farnsley-Moremen Landing – become part of the Metro Parks system.
2005 Mayor Abramson and Humana co-founder David A. Jones unveil City of Parks expansion and improvement initiative. Jones pledges to raise $20 million, and Sen. Mitch McConnell obtains $38 million federal earmark. Land acquisition begins, under leadership of new non-profit organization, 21st Century Parks. Jefferson Memorial Forest grows to more than 6,000 acres.
2006 Wallace Roberts & Todd selected by 21st Century Parks to develop master plan for the Floyds Fork Greenway Project, part of the City of Parks initiative.
2007 Louisville Metro Parks became one of only 73 parks and recreation agencies in the nation to be accredited by the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies. The announcement, made during the National Recreation and Park Association’s annual conference in Indianapolis, places Metro Parks among the nation’s best parks and recreation departments.
2008 A September windstorm does heavy damage to dozens of parks and the Olmsted Parkways, while leaving most community centers without power. Metro Parks forestry crews assist other city crews in debris removal in the following weeks.
2010 Metro Parks unveils new aquatics plan focusing on outdoor, low-cost, low-maintenance spraygrounds. New facilities opened in Shelby, Wyandotte, Petersburg and LaPorte parks, and four more are scheduled to open in 2011. Also new is the Eva Bandman Cyclocross Venue, which will host the 2013 World Championships, the first time this event will be held outside of Europe.
2013 Iroquois Park becomes host of the annual Jack O'Lantern Spectacular, created by Passion For Pumpkins, Inc. and operated as a fundraiser for the Louisville Metro Parks Foundation. In 2015, a new, state-of-the-art playground is installed at California Park thanks to the partnership.
2015 With the construction of nearly 3 miles of new paved surface and almost 8 more in the Parklands of Floyds Fork, the Louisville Loop inches towards 50 percent completion. Seve Ghose succeds Heitz.
2016 Louisville Parks and Recreation, along with the Olmsted Parks Conservancy, the new North Overlook is dedicated in Iroquois Park. The Adaptive and Inclusive Recreation program (AIR) is now headquartered in the Berrytown Recreation Center. The department's forestry program is combatting an infestation of the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) within the city's six parkways.
2017 A new cricket field at Hays Kennedy Park is established and dedicated in the name of Indian superstar Sunil Gavaskar. Louisville Parks and Recreation is re-accredited by the National Recreation and Park Association.
2018 Louisville Parks and Recreation adds Quail Chase Golf Club to its course inventory. The system now has 120 parks covering more than 13,000 acres, with 10 golf courses, 12 community centers, 2 arts and cultural centers, 1 Adapted and Inclusive (AIR) recreation center, five swimming pools (including the indoor Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center), two historic homes, and the nation's largest municipal urban forest.