Louisville Parks offers free lifeguard training to those who are willing to work for Louisville Parks during the summer season. Training for lifeguards not employed by Metro Parks is available for $200/per person. For more information, call 502-897-9949.
The Louisville Parks Aquatics Department operates 5 public swimming pools across Metro Louisville; one pool operates year-round. Lifeguard duties and employment application instructions are described below. For more information, or to inquire about cashier, concession and swim instruction employment opportunities, call 502-897-9949.
TO BECOME CERTIFIED AS A LIFEGUARD, you must be 16 years old and hold current certification in the following courses:
- Lifeguard/First Aid Training (certification is good for two years)
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer (certification is good for two years only)
- Jefferson County Board of Health Guard (certification expires every year)
Please allow at least 3 weeks after all items listed below have been submitted for processing. An employee cannot start work until the personnel office completes processing.
- Lifeguard/First Aid Certification
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Board of Health Water & Written Test
- Metro Parks application (The record check must be completed and APPROVED before hire. This may take SEVERAL WEEKS SO SEND YOUR APPLICATON IN EARLY)!
- Metro Parks tax packet
- Copy of Social Security Card & Photo ID
- Birth Certificate if under 18 years old
- All lifeguards must pass a drug test as a condition of employment.
The lifeguard maintains a safe environment for all guests of Metro Parks’ swimming pools. Under management’s instruction, the lifeguard is responsible for all of the following duties on a daily basis.
- Maintains order both in the water and on the pool deck, and enforce pool rules.
- Attentively observes activity in the water and insures safe swimming conditions at all times.
- Treats the public with courtesy and respect at all times.
- Provides first aid treatment and artificial respiration when necessary.
- Maintains proper certification, including the Jefferson County Board of Health certification, and maintains water rescue skills.
- Attends all in-services and conditioning sessions as scheduled.
- Performs daily clean-up or other necessary tasks as instructed.
- Take water test and accurately record results on pool log sheet.
- Sits in lifeguard chairs, with the rescue tube in their lap, with whistle in their hand or around their neck at all times when they are responsible for the pool.
- Reports to work at scheduled time in your required uniform.
If you are interested in teaching SWIM LESSONS for Metro Parks, we can train you. Please contact Keith Smith at 502-897-9949 ext. 26.
Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center
201 Reservoir Ave.
Lifeguard Training/First Aid Classes
These classes include CPR for the Professional Rescuer and the Louisville Metro Heath Department Guard Course. If you attend one of these sessions, you won’t need any other classes.
|SESSION I||TBD||Sunday’s||1 - 5 p.m.||$200||MTMAC|
|SESSION II||TBD||Saturday's||9 - 5 p.m.||$200||MTMAC|
|SESSION III||TBD||Sunday's||1 - 5 p.m.||$200||MTMAC|
|SESSION IV||TBD||Sunday’s||1 - 5 p.m.||$200||MTMAC|
|SESSION V||TBD||Saturdays||9 - 5 p.m.||$200||MTMAC|
|SESSION VI||TBD||Sunday's||1 - 5 p.m.||$200||MTMAC|
|SESSION VII||TBD||M, T, W, TH, F||4 - 9 p.m.||$200||MTMAC|
|Fee:||$200 (Free for those who work for Metro Parks for one full season)|
|Location:||Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center, 201 Reservoir Avenue, 502-897-9949|
The following are prerequisite skills for lifeguard training; you will be asked to perform these skills on the first day of class:
- Swim 300 yards continuously – 100 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, and 100 choice of freestyle or breaststroke.
- Tread Water for 2 minutes no hands.
- Swim 20 yards and surface dive 10 feet retrieving a 10-pound brick. Once swimmer has retrieved brick then the swimmer must swim 20 yards on their back while holding both hands on the brick to the original starting point. The swimmer must exit the water with out using a ladder or steps. This prerequisite must be completed in 1 minute and 40 seconds.
Additional classes may be offered based on demand. Metro Parks reserves the right to combine classes in May if class size requirements are not met. Participants must be able to attend all scheduled classes; no make-up dates are available.
BOARD of HEALTH WATER TEST
(Please call 502-574-6650 to register for this Board of health class.)
Location: Mary T Meagher Aquatic Center
FEE: NO CHARGE