(Free Lifeguard Training)
The Metro Parks Aquatics Department operates 5 public swimming pools across Metro Louisville; one pool operates year-round. Lifeguard duties and employment application instructions are described below. For more information, or to inquire about cashier, concession and swim instruction employment opportunities, call 502/897-9949.
Metro Parks provides free lifeguard training to those who work for Metro Parks for one full season. The training is available to non-employees for a fee. For information on the certifications necessary to become a lifeguard, click here.
Lifeguards are required to take a drug test as a condition of employment.
The lifeguard maintains a safe environment for all guests of Metro Parks swimming pools. Under management’s instruction, the lifeguard is responsible for all of the following duties on a daily basis:
- Maintains order both in the water and on the pool deck, and enforces pool rules.
- Attentively observes activity in the water and insures safe swimming conditions at all times.
- Treats the public with courtesy and respect at all times.
- Provides first aid treatment and artificial respiration when necessary.
- Maintains proper certification, including the Louisville Metro Health Department certification, and maintains water rescue skills.
- Attends all in-services and conditioning sessions as scheduled.
- Performs daily clean-up or other necessary tasks as instructed.
- Takes water test and accurately records results on pool log sheet.
- Sits in lifeguard chairs, with the rescue tube in their lap, with whistle in their hand or around their neck at all times when they are responsible for the pool.
- Reports to work 15 minutes prior to scheduled time in required uniform.
Please allow at least 3 weeks after all items listed below have been submitted for processing. An employee can not start work until the Metro Parks Personnel Office processes the following:
- Mandatory Drug Screening for Lifeguards
- Lifeguard/First Aid Certification
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer Certification
- Louisville Metro Health Department Water Test & Written Test
- Metro Parks application (a record check must be completed and approved before hire. This may take several weeks so send in your application early!) To download application forms, click here
- Metro Parks tax packet
- Copy of Social Security Card & Photo ID
- Birth Certificate if under 18 years old