Interns & Volunteers at the Office for Women
The Louisville Metro Government’s Office for Women offers non-paid student internship positions during the fall, spring and summer semesters to undergraduate and graduate students. The Office for Women is is an Advocacy & Empowerment office in the Louisville Metro Department of Community Services.
OFW's broad focus includes issues affecting women's self-determination such as physical and mental health, social and economic well-being, community involvement, violence and abuse. . The Office for Women engages in education, awareness, research, policy work, advocacy, and referral.
Students who are bilingual are strongly encouraged to apply.
Is an Internship or Volunteer Opportunity with Office For Women for you? We are seeking students who have:
- Strong personal and career interest in women’s issues.
- Skills: Internet, Word, PowerPoint, research, writing, interpersonal, analytical.
- Related course work in social sciences, public health, law, or political science.
- Are graduate students or undergraduates with junior or senior school status.
- What does an OFW internship or volunteer opportunity offer you?
The Office for Women Internship provides students with an opportunity to gain valuable knowledge about issues facing women, girls and families in our community and local government. This internship is excellent preparation for careers in policy, social service, government and a host of related fields.
What does an OFW intern do? Assist with program development, research, and community-wide outreach. Depending on your area of study and time available, project planning and tracking, making phone calls, writing articles, or webpage editing may be involved. For interns, a minimum of 10 hours per week is preferred OR the number of hours per week necessary to meet university requirements. For volunteers,time will vary depending on the project - a commitment of 10 hours per month is preferred.
- All students making internship inquiries must complete the Louisville Metro online job application and note their interest in an OFW internship.
- For volunteer opportunities: Please contact OFW and state your interests, such as "on call" for events overseeing resource tables a day or 2 a month, data entry, writing, web editing (see descriptions above).
- A background check authorization is required for both volunteer opportunities and internships.