Louisville Metro Council Social Media Public Comment Policy
Social Media Public Comment Policy
The Louisville Metro Council (LMC) engages community members through many digital outlets, including www.louisvilleky.gov, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Communicating with the LMC through social media further enables constituents to contact the LMC in a direct and meaningful way.
As designated (limited) public forums, the goal of the LMC social media pages that allow public interaction in the form of comments is to be a helpful medium conducive to real-time discussions and useful feedback regarding the topics and matters identified and raised by the LMC on its pages.
Please be aware that when engaging with the LMC through social media, you are agreeing to:
Commenting on a LMC Social Media Site
The Louisville Metro Council offices share information, images, and video with the public through external social media websites. Comments made by the public to these sites are reviewed and, while comments will not be edited by LMC personnel, a comment may be deleted/hidden if it violates the comment policy described here.
- Any content that is in violation of federal, state, local laws or is otherwise unlawful
- Comments not topically related to the particular site or blog article being commented upon
- Profane language or content
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, sex, creed, color, age, religion, gender identity, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation
- Sexual content or links to sexual content
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
- Harassing language or threats of physical or bodily harm or to public safety
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party
- Comments in support of or opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
- Content that attempts to solicit business or other commercial activity
- Defamatory, libelous, offensive, or demeaning material.
- Engaging in combative exchanges.
- Nonpublic information of any kind.
- Personal, sensitive, or confidential material of any kind.
- Items involved in litigation or potential litigation.
- Malicious or harmful software.
- Comments posted by automatic software programs (ie. bots).
- Disruptively repetitive content.
This comment policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time.
User Created Content
Social Media Representatives monitor social media accounts. However, neither they, nor the Louisville Metro Council, are responsible for the content generated by users on these platforms. Users are welcome to submit or post content, including photographs and videos, to an official LMC site where the agency allows users to post content, the content meets the standards articulated in this policy and pertains to the subject of the social media site.
Users may only post their own, original content. Reproduced or borrowed content that reasonably appears to violate third party rights will be deleted. Users should have no expectation of privacy when posting to an LMC site. Any user created content or comment is the opinion of the user only, and publication of any user created content or comment does not necessarily imply endorsement of, or agreement by, the Social Media Representative, or the Louisville Metro Council.
Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Louisville Metro Council or Louisville Metro Government and does not guarantee the authenticity, accuracy, appropriateness or security of the link, website or content linked hereto.
Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Louisville Metro Council and Louisville Metro Council does not guarantee the authenticity, accuracy, appropriateness or security of the link, website or content linked hereto.
LMC social media accounts are subject to the Kentucky Open Records Act. Any content maintained in a social media format that is related to LMC business, including a list of subscribers, and posted communications, is a public record. Content posted or submitted for posting is subject to public disclosure under the Kentucky Open Records Act.
The Metro Council Clerk is the official custodian of records for the Metro Council. Information on open records requests is available on the Metro Council Clerk website: https://louisvilleky.gov/government/metro-council/metro-council-clerk.
Questions or Concerns
Questions or concerns regarding the Louisville Metro Council’s social media activity and/or this Social Media Public Comment Policy should be submitted online through this form.