Disputed Transactions

The cardholder is responsible for contacting the vendor and/or US Bank at 1-800-344-5696 about any erroneous charges, returns or disputed items. Disputed billing can result from:

  • failure to receive goods or services charged
  • fraud or misuse
  • altered charges
  • defective merchandise
  • incorrect amounts
  • duplicate charges
  • credits not processed



Instructions for disputing a sales transaction:

Before disputing or questioning a charge on the statement, please validate that you have taken the following actions:

  • Review receipts for the amount in question, as it may have posted to the statement with a different merchant name or with a different amount
    • Foreign transactions may post for more or less than your receipt
  • Attempt to contact the merchant to resolve the issue
    • Document all interactions with the merchant (names, dates, responses)


*If neither you nor anyone authorized to use the card recognizes the transaction as one you participated in, please call Cardmember Service at 800.344.5696, where they will assess the proper action to be taken, including initiating a dispute or fraud case. 

Initiating a dispute case

If you still desire to dispute the transaction after attempting to contact the merchant and verifying your receipts, choose one of the following options to initiate a case:

  • Phone by calling Cardmember Service at 800.344.5696
  • Mail or fax a detailed letter explaining the reason for filing the dispute and the transaction information:

Mail                                                              Fax

Dispute Department                                   866.229.9625

PO Box 6335                                                Attn:  Dispute Department

Fargo, ND  58125-6335


Important information to include when initiating a billing dispute case:

Whether you are initiating the dispute over the phone, by mail, or via fax, it is important that the following information be provided to U.S. Bank:

  • The account number information and details on the transaction in question (date and dollar amount)
  • Your contact information, including a daytime phone number with area code
  • An explanation of why you believe there is an error or why you need additional information
  • Any supporting documentation, such as credit vouchers, return shipping documents, copies of receipts or contracts, or communications you’ve had with the merchant
  • The date you contacted the merchant to attempt to resolve the issue, the name of the person with whom you interacted, and the merchant’s response

Remember:  Always keep a copy of all documentation for your records.


Send the dispute information to the PCard Office at PCard@louisvilleky.gov.


Timeframes for dispute cases:

  • All billing dispute cases need to be initiated within 60 days from the date of the first statement on which the item was billed.
  • If you wish to initiate a case that is beyond the 60-day timeframe, you may still attempt the case by calling Cardmember Service, by mailing in a letter, or by faxing a letter to the contact information listed above; however, U.S. Bank may no longer be able to assist you with the transaction.

What will happen after the case is started?

Once the request to initiate a dispute is received by U.S. Bank:

  • The amount of the transaction will be suspended.  You will still see the amount included in your balance but will not be required to pay for the suspended portion of your bill.
  • You will receive communications regarding the status of your claim and requests for additional information.  Many of these letters are time sensitive and require a cardholder response.  It is important that these responses are received within the required timeframes included in the letters.
  • Since disputes are governed by Visa and MasterCard Regulations, which provide guidelines for action and timelines, all disputes require that certain criteria must be met in order to pursue dispute rights.  As a result, we will ask you for information regarding the case.  The questions will vary and will be specific to your dispute type.  You may be asked for things that include but are not limited to:
    • Details on what you were expecting vs. what happened
    • Dates and details of your interactions with the merchant
    • Tracking information showing how merchandise was received or returned
    • Cancellation dates, confirmation numbers, and merchant’s return policy information
    • Supporting documentation, such as emails, receipts, contract, and more
  • If all requirements are met, U.S. Bank will attempt to return the charge (chargeback) to the merchant.  If this occurs, you will receive a provisional credit for the disputed amount on your account, and the suspension will be lifted.
  • The merchant will have an opportunity to respond (represent) through Visa and MasterCard.  If this happens, you may be required to provide an updated response to the merchant’s rebuttal.
  • You will be notified if additional information is needed.  Updated responses and cardholder letters are often required throughout the case, depending on the dispute type and merchant’s responses, so it is very important that you respond quickly to any dispute letters you receive.
  • If the claim is resolved in your favor, your provisional credit will remain on the account as a permanent credit.  If the claim is not resolved in your favor, the charge will be reposted to the account.  Dispute cases may be very complex and are not guaranteed to be successful.  U.S. Bank is required to follow Visa and MasterCard regulations for disputes.

What if I have questions?

Initiating a dispute case:

  • Contact Cardmember Service at 800.344.5696.

Existing dispute case:

  • Contact U.S. Bank’s Fraud Operations Team at 866.879.4005.  They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  (This line is for existing fraud or dispute cases only.)
  • If assigned to case processors, you may contact them directly at their extension.
  • You may also call Cardmember Service, using the number on the back of your card.  They will connect you with the appropriate dispute representative.