Start or expand your business

For a printable, comprehensive guide in how to start and conduct business in Louisville, please click here. 

Following are some suggested steps for a business owner when deciding to start or expand a business.

Step 1

Consult with a licensed Kentucky attorney, a CPA, and/or complete the Small Business Resource Inquiry to be connected to a member of our Small Business Development team to discuss your options and to determine your needs. Other useful resources include: 
Louisville Small Business Development Center
Small Business Administration 

Step 2

Select a business name and choose an operating legal entity (Sole Proprietor, Partnership, Corporation, LLC etc.).

Step 3

Register your business with the Kentucky Secretary of State.  If you incorporate you must submit Articles of Incorporation. If you are an LLC or LLP you must submit Articles of Organization. Forms can be downloaded and printed from Secretary of State's webpage.  

Step 4

Obtain a federal employer identification number (EIN) from the IRS form SS-4.
To request an SS-4 call: 
(859)669-5760 (fax)

The IRS also has a district office in Louisville: 
Ron Mazzoli Federal Building
600 Martin Luther King, Jr. Place
Louisville, KY 40201 

Step 5

Register business with Louisville Metro: 
Louisville Metro Revenue Commission 
617 West Jefferson Street
Louisville, KY 40202
(502) 574-4860 

Application form can be download from the website. Check with County Clerk if outside Louisville Metro for any local business taxes or licenses. 

Name Registration if in Jefferson County: 
Jefferson County Clerk
527 West Jefferson St., 
Room 204 
Louisville, KY 40202 
(502) 574-5700 

Business name should be registered in each county business is conducted. Call the applicable county clerk's office for registration and other requirements. Check for any additional occupations/business taxes for local municipalities (St. Matthews, Shively, Jeffersontown, etc.). 

Step 6

Register with the Kentucky Revenue Cabinet (form 11A100 or 10A101): 
a) If you must collect sales or use tax 
b) Any business with employees 
c) Any business entity other than a sole proprietorship. 

Additional considerations when starting a business: