Grades 4 to 6
For older learners, the programs go more in depth, and are generally four hours long. JMF staff can work with you to meet the specific needs and ability level of your group.
This program offers three topics to choose from to fit the specific needs of your curriculum.
- Adaptations of Kentucky Wildlife. 4th grade Core Content 04-3.4.4, 04-4.7.1
- Native Wildlife: Get up close and personal with a few of the native species that call Kentucky home. 4th grade Core Content 04-3.4.3
- Habitats: Figure what a "niche" is and how having its own niche helps each animal survive. Determine how the living things in the habitats fit into the energy cycle. NGSS 5 PS3-1, 5-LS1, 5-LS2-1
One of our most popular programs! Explore the diversity of life that creates an aquatic ecosystem. Use scientific methods to collect and identify insects, fish, and amphibians, and learn how each fits into the energy cycle in the pond. NGSS 5 PS3-1, 5-LS1, 5-LS2-1; 4th grade Core Content EP-4.6.2, EP-4.6.1, 04-4.6.1, 04-3.4.4, 04-4.7.1
Forest Ecosystem Exploration
This program offers two topics to choose from to fit the specific needs of your curriculum while exploring a temperate forest. We are also happy to accommodate a different focus for your group.
- ecosystems, the energy cycle, and biodiversity. NGSS 5-PS3-1, 5-LS1-1, 5-LS2-1, PS3.D,MS-LS2, LS2.A, LS2.B, LS2.C, LS2.D, 4th grade Core Content EP-4.6.1, EP-4.6.2, 04-4.6.1
- plant life cycles and seed dispersal methods. MS-LS1-4, LS1-B, LS1.C, LS2.B, 4th grade Core Content EP-4.6.2
Kentucky Insects and Arachnids
Learn the difference between spiders and insects, as Forest staff lead your group on an invertebrate safari. Observe some of the adaptations that have made insects the most diverse class of animals on the planet. Investigate and evaluate the differences and similarities in anatomy and behavior of several familiar insect families. NGSS LS4.C, 4th grade Core Content 04-4.7.1, 04-3.4.3, 04-4.7.1