Fraud, errors and abuse costs Medicare 3% to 10% of every dollar spent. You can help keep this money out of criminal's pockets by learning to protect, detect and report!
Protect Your Personal Information
- Never give Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, or bank account information to strangers.
- Do not carry your Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security cards unless you will need them.
- Remember: Medicare, Medicaid and the government will NEVER call or visit to sell anything or ask for personal information- they already have it! If someone calls or visits and asks for your personal information just say no!
Detect Fraud, Errors, and Abuse
- Keep a record of your doctors visits and medications in a calendar or Personal HealthCare Journal.
- Review Medicare Summary Notice (MSN), Part D Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and doctor’s statements closely and compare them to your records and prescription receipts.
- Look for these common errors or mistakes:
- Charges for services you did not receive
- Billing for the same item or service twice
- Services that were not ordered by your doctor
Report Suspicious Activity
First contact your healthcare or insurance provider.
If they are not able to help or answer your questions, call us at 502-574-6960 or 1-877-603-6558.
You Can Help Stop Medicare Fraud!
Kentucky SMP needs volunteers to help us spread out message to everyone in Kentucky! To learn how you can help call us at 502-574-6960 or submit a volunteer application!