Street Vendor Information

How to become a mobile food service (street) vendor.

There are four options to choose from:

1. Temporary Food Service
        All temporary food vendors must have a permit to operate. Foods may be prepared and served in conjunction with gatherings or events such as fairs and festivals. Food items and methods of preparation may be restricted during these temporary events. All temporary food vendors must have a permit from the local health department prior to commencing operations. These permits are valid, if the establishment complies with regulations, for up to 14 days at one location. Click here for more information. Click here to apply and pay online. Click here for an application.

2. Pushcart
        Food such as pre-cooked hot dogs and similar meats such as Italian sausage, bratwurst, and frankfurters, nacho chips and cheese and pre-packaged pre-cooked commercially prepared sandwiches may be sold from a pushcart that is either fixed or mobile. Hawaiian shaved ice and snow-cones that use commercially prepared pre-packaged flavor dispensers that are replaced when empty are also eligible for restricted push carts.  Click here for more information.

3. Mobile Food Unit
        A mobile food unit is a food establishment on wheels or otherwise mobile. Permitted units pay one yearly fee and may operate statewide. Mobile units may not remain at one location longer than 14 consecutive days.  Click here for more information.

For more information regarding city requirements please click here.

4. Farmer’s Market
        Any temporary food service establishment operated by a farmer who is a member of the market which operates within the confines of a farmers market registered with the Kentucky Department of Agriculture for the direct-to-consumer marketing of Kentucky grown farm products from approved sources for a period of time not to exceed two (2) days per week for any consecutive six (6) month period per calendar year.  Click here for more information.  Click here for frequently asked Q & A.

Service Category: