Call the LOU HEALTH helpline 502-912-8598.
Birth and Death Records
The Office of Vital Statistics is located at 400 East Gray Street at the main administrative headquarters for the Department of Public Health and Wellness. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm.
- Declaration of paternity (by appointment only)
- Registration of births from home deliveries (by appointment only)
- Provision of legal forms for funeral homes, nursing facilities, coroner’s office and hospitals
- Application forms are available for certified copies of birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates. Applications must be completed and sent to Frankfort with the appropriate fee (birth $10; death $6; marriage and divorce $6 after the year 1956); allow four weeks for delivery. Please be aware that birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates can NOT be obtained at our office. We only provide the applications. Official birth, death, and marriage certificates are provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky, State Registrar of Vital Statistics, Frankfort, Ky.
- These application forms may be downloaded and printed by clicking here: chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dph/dehp/vsb/Pages/default.aspx
Expedited certificates can be obtained by two methods from Frankfort:
(1) you can drive to Frankfort and get it while you wait (2) if you have a major credit card [Mastercard, Visa, Discover, or Debit] you can call toll free 24 hours 1-877-817-7362 and receive it within 7-10 days (overnight express shipping costs an additional $33.25)
- Requesting Birth or Death Information Prior to 1911?
If you’re seeking to examine records of births and deaths prior to 1911, they have been transferred to the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, KY, 40602.
- Requesting Information on Genealogy Research?
Researchers may access the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, http://www.kdla.ky.gov. The library is an excellent source of older documents and records when searching the family tree. The Kentucky Historical Society, PO Box H, Frankfort, KY 40602 has records that cover the period from 1851 to 1862, (502) 564-3016.
For specific questions, please call (502) 574-6596 and the Local Registrar will be happy to assist you.
We want to hear from you
- Have you received a service from LMPHW? If so, please complete our Customer Satisfaction Survey.
Enter your address and MyLouisville will find nearby city services in the following categories:
- Solid Waste Services
- Emergency Services
- Political Info
- General Location Info
Find your garbage, recycling, yard waste and large-item set-out dates. Sign up for large-item set out and street sweeping reminders by email and text!
- Residential Services & Locations
- LOJIC Mapping Hub
- Snow Routes Map
- Voting Locations
- Short Term Rental Host Eligibility Map
- Waze Traffic Updates & Road Closures Map
- Neighborhoods, Municipalities, and Districts
- Current Air Quality
- Metro Council Maps
- Interesting Story Maps
- Redlining Louisville Map
- One Bright City Initiative
Covid-19 Testing Information Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Inmate Search Covid Assistance Programs Adopt a pet 2021 Delinquent Child Support List Find a Neighborhood Place Near You Junk and Bulk Trash Disposal Animal Services Sign up for Junk, Garbage and Recycling Notifications Low Income Energy Assistance Program Revenue Commission / Forms & Publications Search our website by keyword Download the 311 mobile app Report an issue Report or search lost and found animals
Download the 311 mobile app and report something to us Order garbage & recycling carts/bins Get an accident report Report a property maintenance issue Get a permit, license or application Pay a parking ticket online City planning and zoning Pay your water/sewer bill Pay your electric/gas bill Bid on surplus items Get a special events permit Pay occupational taxes Pay monthly parking