Interested in a great summer job or challenging career? Are you at least 16 years old with no physical or mental limitations? Then lifeguarding may be for you!
To become a lifeguard, a person needs to undergo an intense period of lifeguard training to ensure the safety of all those they are entrusted to protect. Click on the links below to learn more information of the skills and requirements needed to be a lifeguard.
- Lifeguard I Certification Requirements
- Lifeguard II Certification Requirements
- Qualified Pool Attendant Certification Requirements
- Louisville and Jefferson County Board of Health Chapter 901 Lifeguard I, Lifeguard II, Qualified Attendant
2016 Lifeguard/Qualified Attendant Testing and Certification:
- Location for testing and certification:
Louisville Metro Public Health & Wellness
400 E. Gray St., Louisville, KY 40202
- Testing times:
Monday, Thursday & Friday: 12 noon - 4:30 p.m.
or by appointment only on Tuesday & Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. call (502) 574-6650
You must bring with you:
- Know the last 4 digits of your social security number
- Proof of identification and age: driver's license or personal picture ID with birth date
- Original certification card/cards for Lifegaurding, 1st Aid and CPR signed by your instructor (you will be turned away if you do not have the cards)
- $20.00 for permit: cash is preferred but will accept check, credit: VISA, MasterCard, Discover
- Change for parking meters on Gray St., change and/or credit card for meters on Jackson St. and Preston St. (DO NOT PARK IN LOT - Health Department parking lot is for Health Department employees only)
No Guard On Duty Requirements:
When the public swimming pool is without water safety personnel on duty, a locked barrier with a minimum height of 4 ft. shall be present at the pool entrance. The barrier must be secured at all times with access limited to residents and patrons. In addition, one of the following warning signs shall be placed in plain view with lettering 2 inches in height:
A) "POOL CLOSED, NO SWIMMING, NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY": PERSONS FOUND IN VIOLATION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO A FINE OF UP TO $100.00"
B) "WARNING, NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY, NO ONE MAY BE ALONE AND NO MORE THAN 5 PERSONS MAY BE IN THE POOL AT ANY TIME. PERSONS UNDER 16 MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT. PERSONS FOUND IN VIOLATION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO A FINE UP TO $100.00"