Harm Reduction Outreach Services (formerly syringe services)
Harm Reduction is an evidence-based practice and a cost-effective approach that equips persons who use drugs with lifesaving tools and education to improve health outcomes. The information and services we provide are aimed at preventing injury, overdose deaths, and the spread of bloodborne diseases, including HIV and hepatitis C. Our services also create a pathway to additional behavioral health and social services. Learn more about the principals of harm reduction.
Through our Outreach Services we provide a wide array of supportive services including linkage to substance use treatment programs, screening and linkage to care for HIV and viral hepatitis, naloxone distribution and education about overdose prevention, referrals to other social, mental health, and medical resources.
Our Outreach Services are anonymous and free. Operated in partnership by the Louisville Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness, UK – Target Four, and the Kentucky Harm Reduction Coalition.
Locations and hours of operation:
- MONDAY: Redeemer Lutheran Church | 3640 River Park Dr. (37th and River Park) | 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- TUESDAY: St. John Center | 700 E. Muhammad Ali Blvd. | 2nd and 4th Tuesdays | 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- TUESDAY: Beulah Presbyterian Church | 6704 Bardstown Rd. | 3:30 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- WEDNESDAY: Hazelwood | 4696 Hazelwood Ave. | 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- THURSDAY: Behind Fire Station | 4603 Cane Run Rd. | 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- THURSDAY: Sweet Evening Breeze | 801 Barret Ave., Suite 211 | 2nd and 4th Thursdays | 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- FRIDAY: The Hope Garden | 513 S. 26th St. | 1st, 3rd, and 5th Fridays | 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- FRIDAY: Family Health Center - Portland | 2215 Portland Ave. | 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- SATURDAY: Southwest Government Center | 7219 Dixie Hwy. | 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Louisville Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness, 400 E. Gray St.
- MONDAY: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- TUESDAY: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- WEDNESDAY: 1 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- THURSDAY: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- FRIDAY: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
CLOSED 12:30 p.m. - 1 p.m. daily for lunch
- Addiction and Treatment Help
- Overdose Prevention
- Overdose Prevention Video Link
- Fentanyl Test Strip Graphic
- Request free fentanyl test strips
- Harm Reduction Coalition Overdose Prevention
To request a Narcan kit call us at 502-574-8800 or contact the Kentucky Harm Reduction Coalition at 502-537-6061.
If you or someone you know is struggling or in crisis, help is available.
- Community Mental Health Services
Call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org
Here are links to community mental health resources:
- The Black Counseling & Consulting Collective: 502-414-4380
- Park DuValle Community Health Center: 502-774-4401
- Collective Care Center at Spalding University: 502-792-7011
- Louisville Recovery Community Connection: 502-717-8321
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Text Line: Text LOU to 741-741
- Seven Counties 24/7 Adult Crisis Line: 502.589.4313
- Seven Counties 24/7 Child Crisis Line: 502.589.8070
- Seven Counties 24/7 Addiction Help Line: 502.583.3951
- NAMI Louisville: 502-588-2008
- LGBT National Help Center: 1-888-843-4564
- Mental Health Lou Resource Guide