Louisville Welcome Academy
The Global Louisville Leadership Academy, formerly known as Louisville Welcome Academy, is a free leadership training program sponsored by the Louisville Metro Government Office for Globalization. The mission is to build the knowledge and networks of foreign-born leaders to increase their capacity and become key stakeholders to empower and assist their communities.
Please complete the form below to apply for the 2023 session of the Global Louisville Leadership Academy. Information collected will not be shared outside of the Office for Globalization.
Participants in the Global Louisville Leadership Academy will:
- Gain an in-depth understanding of city government services
- Increase accessibility to existing city and community resources
- Build leadership capacity
- Become part of the larger community network
Global Louisville Leadership Academy will consist of six in-person sessions between February to June 2023. Each session is a full day long, and cohort members should be ready to commit to participating in all six sessions, which includes the closing ceremony. We do understand emergencies come up and will permit excused missed meetings.
SESSION I: Monday, February 20, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
SESSION II: Monday, March 20, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
SESSION III: Monday, April 17, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
SESSION IV: Monday, May 22, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
SESSION V: Monday, June 26, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
CLOSING CEREMONY: Date - TBD
- City Government Services: Discussion about our city's form of government, the election process and the
responsibilities of elected officials. An overview of various city departments and services, including information about our public transportation system.
- Citizenship and Civic Engagement: Learn about the naturalization process and its importance, how to apply for U.S. citizenship, what it means to be a U.S. citizen. Discussion on what civic engagement means and ways to become civically engaged.
- Leadership Development: Discussion around how to form and lead teams. Exploring the difference between a community leader and a community influencer.
- Volunteerism and Community Engagement: An overview on volunteer opportunities and community resources available throughout the city.
- Public Safety and the Courts: Presentation of police and fire departments. We will also have an explanation of the criminal and civil courts. Discussion on the Department of Motor Vehicle and driver’s licenses.
Who can apply:
- Leaders or professionals that currently work or serve the international community.
- Willing to commit to the six sessions of this program.
- Looking to build or start an initiative that can benefit their communities.
- Willing to become ambassadors and act as connectors between the city's communications and the communities.
When to apply:
Applications are now open and will close January 20, 2023.
How to apply:
Applications will be selected on a first come, first-serve basis pending all application requirements are met. The Office for Globalization will consider equal representation of our diverse ethnic communities when selecting applicants. There is no cost to participants to attend the Academy.
Once selected, each participant will receive a letter of acceptance that can be used to demonstrate to employer active participation in the program. The city will communicate the acceptance of each participant to their respective employers to ensure that each understands the value of participation.
Office for Globalization, Program Manager