LOUISVILLE JEFFERSON COUNTY FOREIGN BORN COMMUNITY SNAPSHOT:
- 53,120 foreign born residents
- 7.2% share of total population
- $497.9M foreign born taxes paid
- $1.4B foreign born spending power
- 1,710 foreign born entrepreneurs
- Between 2017-2018, Louisville/Jefferson County would have lost around 2,026 people if it weren't for the international migration that settles in the city every year.
- Without the international migration, Jefferson County would have lost 35.5% of its population from 2010-2018.
- The average age for the foreign born community is 37 years old. Louisville's foreign born community is more likely to be of working age - defined as being between the ages of 25 and 64 - and making up 68.8% of the population. Also, thanks to their migration to Louisville, the population from ages 0-24 have also been growing over the last several years.
- Louisville’s foreign-born population is highly educated: 40% hold a college or graduate degree.
- The national rate that foreign born residents open businesses is more than 2 times compared to native born residents.
TOP 5 INDUSTRIES THE FOREIGN BORN COMMUNITY HELPS SUPPORT:
- Construction: 7.6% foreign born vs 4.5% native born
- Manufacturing: 17.1% foreign born vs 11.1% native born
- Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodations and food services: 11.4% foreign born vs 10.1% native born
- Retail trade: 11.2% foreign born vs 11% native born
- Educational services, and health care and social assistance: 19.2% foreign born vs 24% native born
DEMOGRAPHIC MAPS FROM NEW AMERICAN ECONOMY
- Educator Says that Without Immigration Reform Kentucky Schools Can’t Produce Enough Technical Workers