LFD History - Year by Year


First fire brigade was initiated.


Kentucky Legislature granted townspeople the right to form their own fire companies.


A traveling show by the name of Arnold & Company, exhibited an elephant (the first in the United States) in Louisville. The City's Trustees promptly levied a ten dollar entertainment tax on the display, thereby raising enough money to purchase ladders for all the volunteer companies.


To strengthen the city's firefighting apparatus, an ordinance was passed in requiring all property owners of $40 annual income or higher to provide two fire buckets per house for fire protection.


The first horse driven engine. "Baldy" was the first horse ever to pull a Louisville fire engine; "Hope Engine".


Revenue was raised by fining disorderly spectators at fires.


One of the city's first fire prevention acts was witnessed.


A measure was enforced involving prescribed stove pipes for homes in Louisville.


A system of two cisterns and wells had been established.


Louisville experienced its first large fire. The blaze destroyed most of the south side of Main Street between Third and Fourth Streets.


The "Great Fire of 1840" provided a real test for the pumps. Details are sketchy, but the fire engulfed forty houses, originating at John Hawkins’s Chair Factory, consuming an area between Third and Fourth Streets, Market and Main Streets and north to the river.


On the evening of May 27, 1858, the General Council organized the Steam Engine Fire Department of Louisville, to be effective June 1, 1858. The Division of Fire consisted of three fire stations. Louisville's First Fire chief ( A. Y. Johnson) with the aid of 65 men, 23 horses and 5 newly purchased steam engines, provided fire protection for the 70,000 inhabitants of the city.


The first official fire run was on July 2 to the home of a Mr. Waters, on Campbell Street between Main and Creek Street.


George W. Levi took over as Chief.


The first Louisville fireman to die in the line of duty was Francis M. Atkinson (06/08/1862)


The first "General Alarm" fire occurred on July 1, it involved ten buildings on the north side of Main Street, between Eighth and Ninth Streets.


The first telegraphic fire alarm system installed. Prior to its installation, the city was alerted of fires by a chain reaction of bells.


City Charter was amended, giving Louisville's citizens the legal right to elect Fire Chiefs by vote. Accordingly, Chief M. J. Paul was elected.


Chief George W. Levi was elected to his second term of office as Fire Chief.


City under the leadership of Chief Edward Hughes.


A new electric communications system called a "Joker System" was installed. The fire alarm activated when a box on a corner was "pulled". The system was in use until 1977.


On November 13 tragedy again struck the Division of Fire. Joseph Connell was killed at the fire at Robinson Brothers Fire at Sixth and Main Streets. A cistern that he was pumping out of exploded.


September 15, five firemen were killed by a falling wall. Two more were injured. Records show that Frank Bess was sent to an "Insane Asylum" due to the injuries he sustained.


Louisville was struck by one of its most destructive tornadoes. It destroyed an area bounded by Parkland (28th and Dumesnil) on the west and the Water Works (Frankfort and Stilz) on the east. The tornado killed 78, injured more than 250 citizens and destroyed 766 buildings. Property damage surpassed two million dollars.


On December 8, four more firemen were killed by a falling wall at the Boone Paper Store fire at Seventh and Main Street.


The city constructed its first "Fire Tower".


On November 9, fireman Charles A. Boos was killed by being run over by the Water Tower at Sixth and Main Street responding to a fire call.


The City installed the telephone into the fire stations to complement the Joker System in dispatching fire alarms.


A City ordinance stated that each Steam Engine Company shall consist of not less than 7 men and each hook and ladder company shall consist of not less than 8 laddermen, one driver and one fuel-cart driver. The firemen were allowed one day off per month, and three hours each working day for meals.


The first buzzer system was installed on Hook & Ladder 2. Through a series of signals, the tillerman could communicate with the Driver of the Hook & Ladder.


The Department started using 3" hose to combat fires.


In April, President Theodore Roosevelt arrived in the City, and was driven by a fireman in the parade.


Department under the leadership of Chief Timothy Lehan.


Department under the leadership of Chief A. Neunschwander.


The first-engine fully operated by gasoline was purchased and put into service.


Louisville's first training school was established for the City's firemen.


Establishment of the Fire Prevention Bureau.


The first Louisville Fire Prevention Day was observed which later would become Fire Prevention Week. It is now annually held on or near the anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.


The first meeting of Fire Chief's was held in Kentucky.


On December 14 Louisville had its first black Fire Company. Eight black firemen under the leadership of Captain Jim F. McArthy, manned Engine Co. No. 8.


Department under the leadership of Chief Alex Bache.


On March 17, horse-drawn equipment became obsolete when the last horse team was replaced by motorized vehicles.


The Louisville Bedding Company fire. Damage was $250,000, and twenty-five firemen were injured.


The Drug Sundries Company was the scene of a fire during which two firemen slid from an ice-coated roof to their deaths.


Department under the leadership of Chief Edward McHugh.


Department under the leadership of by J. H. Adams.


Special recognition given to Captain "Windy" Newhall, the oldest member, both in age and service, of "the Fire Department at that time. Born in 1866, Newhall was only 10 when he began his "career" in the Department, as a mascot.


The "firetower" was replaced by an elaborate electrical switchboard.


January 6, a fire at the Hillerich and Bradsby Co., located at Jackson and Burnett Streets, destroyed the lumber yard.


A fire of undetermined origin caused between $40,000 and $50,000 damage to the ware house of Belknap Hardware and Manufacturing Company. Five alarms were sounded. Most of the blaze was fought from the Louisville Municipal Bridge; no one was killed and only five firemen were injured.


On September 9, 314 of the 341 members of the Louisville Fire Department joined the International Fire Fighter's Association.


Department under the leadership of Chief Edward McHugh.


The cornerstone of Louisville's new $151,000 Central Fire Headquarters was finally laid. Mayor Nelville Miller paid just compliments, by saying, "The people of Louisville are proud of their firemen and their Fire Department." The new building, at 12th and Jefferson, was dedicated to the firemen's dedication, hard work and especially the sacrifice of their own lives to save others.


In January of this year Louisville was paralyzed by a tremendous flood. During the flood, 75% of the city had been inundated and 250,000 residents affected. There were 90 flood related deaths and $50 million in property damages.


In July, fifteen firemen were overcome by heat and smoke while fighting a fire which broke out in a concrete hay barn at the Bourbon Stockyards. The cause was spontaneous combustion.


After 53 years of service with the Louisville Fire Department, The Department's unofficial sidekick, the Salvage Corps, was disbanded. Its job had been to accompany the fire engines to the scene of the call and protect the fire-struck, victim's belongings with tarpaulins.


Department under the leadership of John Krusenklaus.


The City purchased its first fire pumper with "centrifugal pumps." Until this time, all the pumpers were a positive displacement pump.


The Arson Squad of the Division of Fire unofficially began.


The Division of Fire started a new trend in modern fire stations. It was a one story building, with the sleeping area next to the apparatus bay. This eliminated the sliding of the pole at night from the dormitory. This new station housed Engine Company Number 9 at 617 East Breckinridge Street.


A new Training Center was constructed. It consisted of a five story brick building, with a classroom on the first floor. The location was Algonquin Parkway & Gibson Lane.


The Department had its first near catastrophe in the age of foam and plastics. On November 2nd, the Department responded to a box alarm fire on the northeast corner of 4th & Jefferson Streets. There was quite a bit of smoke but the fire could not be located. When the 2nd alarm Companies arrived, they were astounded; firefighters lay all over the sidewalks being given first aid. In all, a total of 29 firefighters went to the hospital. The culprit was an open display counter containing foam rubber pillows. The only fire was in an area about 5 feet square! Synthetic materials would prove to be a new and dangerous enemy for firefighters.


The fire at Parkmoor Recreation Center, on Third near Eastern Parkway was fought by 110 firemen. Housing a bowling alley, a restaurant, a coffee shop, a bar and a night club. Captain Joseph Kenneth Buren, Sergeant Jesse P. Wilson and Riley Pryor lost their lives while fighting the spectacular fire.


On June 7 when a new alarm system was put into service. This system was operated by eight 6-volt batteries as opposed to the eight-hundred 2-volt batteries which had controlled the fire alarm boxes around the City previously.


Department under the leadership of Chief Eugene Dodson.


In 1964 the General Assembly passed a law that cut about one-third of the manpower of the Louisville Fire Department by reducing the work week from 72 to 56 hours. The law provided that firemen must be on duty 24 hours and off 48 hours, whereas they had previously worked 24 on and 24 off.


Fire Headquarters at 12th & Jefferson had a new look. A two-story section was added to the old building.


A new fire station was constructed. It was the largest in the City. It combined three Companies in the downtown area; Engine Co. No. 5, Truck Co. No. 2 and Engine Co. No. 3


City purchased a Snorkel Apparatus, something quite different from the other equipment. It had an elevated platform that-had a reach of 75 feet.


Engine 17 was the first Company in the Division history to make 1000 fire runs in one year.


In July, William T. Adams was appointed to the rank of Assistant Chief. He was the first black promoted to a staff position.


Fire Fighters received a new pension plan from the City. The plan allowed a firefighter to work for 20 years and retire with 50% of his base pay.


Department under the leadership of Colonel William J. Cummins.


June 30, Local 345, the firefighters union, could not reach an agreement with the City Administration on a contractual agreement and at 11:00 P.M., the firefighters walked off the job. It was the first time in the history of the Department that the citizens were virtually without fire protection. The strike lasted only 3-1/2 hours.


The rank of Lieutenant was abolished in the fire suppression forces. All those holding that rank were blanketed in as Company Commanders.


Captain Donald LeCompte, died in-line-of-duty.


The Insurance Services Office evaluation gave the Fire Department a Class 1 Rating. This rating was held by only 5 other Fire Departments in the country.


At 4:37 P.M., April 3 the worst tornado since March 27, 1890 ripped a 10 mile-long-path through the City of Louisville. Five deaths were attributed to the tornado.


The Department started purchasing diesel powered apparatus.


Another new piece of firefighting equipment arrived in the Division of Fire, the "Squrt". It eventually replaced the wagon of the two-piece Engine Companies.


Construction of a new fire station at 34th & Bohne that would combine a Police Substation and a Fire Station. There was a lot of controversy regarding the structures twin towers. Engine Co. No. 19 was placed in service at the location together with Truck Co. No. 5


At 3401 Dutchman's Lane (Bowman Field), Quad Co. No. 10's fire station was being expanded to house Engine Co. No. 3 and the 5th District Headquarters. Due to Budget restraints, the Fifth District was not funded.


Department under the leadership of Colonel Thomas T. Kuster.


Mayor Sloane Proposes Budget $3 Million. Of the proposed 412 job cuts, 120 would be from the Fire Department. As of July 1, 1976, fire suppression forces were reduced by 95 men and the remaining 25 would be civilian support personnel. Gone were the days of 6 man Truck and Engine Companies. This reduction in personnel was cause for change in the whole operation of the Fire Department.


Fire struck the J. Guthrie Coke apartments, 411 West Chestnut Street, on March 23, 1977. Before the fire was out, two people had died and thirty-two were injured. Fourteen firefighters were also injured.


Engine Co. No. 7, at 821 South 6th Street, is 105 years old. Pictures of the front of the original fire station taken at the turn of the Century allowed the Architects to restore the facade to its original design with a few exceptions.


Tragedy again struck the Fire Department on February 1, 1978, when firefighter Larry Straughn died as the result of injuries incurred in an accident on January 8, 1978. Engine Company No. 19 hit a tree while responding on a fire run to a Nursing Home.


At 7:45 A.M. July 14 negotiations between the firefighters and the City came to an impasse and the firefighters walked off their jobs. At 6:00 P.M. the negotiators were back at the bargaining tables. At 6:00 A.M. the next morning the firefighters again had "hit the bricks." This time they would not return until a contract had been agreed upon. The contract was finally agreed upon early on the morning of July 18.


On October 11 a fourth-alarm was sounded for the Cook Lumber Company at 1514 West Main Street. The fire consumed or damaged the block between 15th & 16th Streets, between Main and Pirtle. Cook Lumber Company was the oldest lumber company in the City.


Department under the leadership of Colonel Larry M. Bonnafon.


A new recruit class started its training at Drill School. The only difference this time form the past was that the Department had its first woman in the class. She decided after the first day of training to resign. She stated that "she did not have the upper body strength" to complete the training.


A standard Operating Procedures Manual for the Department is under way. This book of procedures will eventually cover all phases of the operations of the Division.


A new position of Safety Officer was established in the Division.


The Department also started a mandatory mask rule. This means that any man entering an area that has contaminated air must wear a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus.


Manual Fire Alarm Boxes removed from service.


First female recruits hired.


911 Emergency telephone system established.


Department under the leadership of Colonel Russell Sanders


19,000 free smoke detectors installed in residential homes.


1st Annual Service awards & Retirement Banquet.


Established High Angle & Water Rescue Units.


Construction of new 2.5 million Training Academy.


15,000 residents attend the 1st Annual "Great Louisville Fire Drill".


All new recruits trained as EMT's.


Confined Space/Trench/Structural Collapse Rescue Team established (Rescue 11).


New City Ordinance requires retrofitting of sprinklers in high rise buildings.


Fire Companies begin First Responder medical runs after 18" snow paralyzes the city.


Department under the leadership of Colonel John B. Corso.


Louisville EMS merged into Fire Department.


Dedication of memorial for 65 division members killed in the line of duty since 1858.


Fire History & Learning Center opened.


Louisville Fire & Rescue "Pipes & Drums" established.


All fire Units equipped with AED's (Automatic External Defibrillator).


Fire/Rescue Boat put in service.


Worst flood in 33 years, 1,500 citizens evacuated.


Department under the leadership of Colonel Gregory W. Frederick


In October all Truck, Quad & Quint companies were equipped with thermal imaging cameras.


Louisville's smoke detector ordinance amended to require the use of tamperproof lithium battery detectors in non-hard wired single family dwellings.


December of this year, Louisville Fire & Rescue adopted the "Passport System" (Personnel Accountability System). Used in conjunction with the Incident Command System (ICS), provides the maximum level of personnel safety while operating at emergency incidents.


MNET - The Fire Prevention And suppression Bureaus partnershiped with other city agencies and Lowe's Home Improvement Centers to install smoke detectors and provide residents with information about services provided by participating city agencies.


In their first year of participation, Division members collected over $53,000 for The Crusade For Children.


Division goes on line with computer based system to track and input medical incident information.

2009  New firefighter accountability system implemented.    
2010 Two new stations opened housing Engine 6 and Telesqurt 21.


Purchased new state-of-the-art Fire/Rescue boat, Louisville 1.
2011 New station housing Engine 10, Truck 8, and Battalion 3 opened.


Enter your address and MyLouisville will find nearby city services in the following categories:

  • Garbage Icon Solid Waste Services
  • Police Badge Icon Emergency Services
  • Political Info Icon Political Info
  • House Icon General Location Info

Find your garbage, recycling, yard waste and large-item set-out dates. Sign up for large-item set out and street sweeping reminders by email and text!

The new Metro311 Reporting System and our new 311 mobile app is live!

Report Something to Us!

Call MetroCall at 311 or (502) 574-5000

No service has been selected.

No form has been selected.