WHAT IS A FALSE ALARM?
A false alarm means the activation of any fire alarm system which results in a response by the fire department for an alarm activation not caused by heat, smoke, or fire.
- ...account for over 25% of all fire runs across Metro Louisville.
- ...take fire personnel away from real emergencies. The diversion of public safety resources can impact the response to a real fire incident.
- ...can desensitize the community to actual fire incidents and lead to neighbors ignoring the alarm when it goes off.
- ...may make you reluctant to use your system, exposing your home or facility to fire and property damage.
- ...cost citizens time and money, with the average cost per run ranging from an estimated $150 - $500, costing the fire service and the community $1 million - $3 million annually.