Louisville Metro EMS receives more than 120,000 emergency medical calls each year. Some patients are critically ill or injured and require an immediate emergency response from our trained providers. Others have long term medical needs that could be resolved more effectively and at a lower cost to the patient. That’s why EMS has established a number of care options that fit our patients’ needs.
Preventive Patient Care
Preventive Patient Care Network visits patients with chronic medical conditions and collaborates with their primary care physicians and specialists.
The network responds to low-acuity 911 medical calls. A nurse in a triage center determines patients' needs and the most appropriate level of care. Here is what our PPCN program does for patients:
- It determines the patients transportation abilities via alternative means.
- It connects patients with local community resources.
- It educates patients about their medical conditions.
- It determines home safety issues.
- It conducts thorough medical assessments to better understand the patients specific needs, and develops action plans to address their needs.
Not all patients who call 911 need ambulance transportation to nearby emergency rooms. Our nurses carefully determine their medical needs and help patients get appropriate care.