Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do I need a permit to plant or prune a tree located in the public right of way? Yes, please call Metro Call at 311. Note: a pruning permit is not required when pruning less than 10% of canopy, nor is it required for clearance for cross visibility, pedestrians or traffic controls.
2. Where is the public right of way abutting my property?  The public right of way is the area from the street to the property line.  Often times, this is the area between the sidewalk and curb. One can look up their property using LOJIC Mapviewer  or contact the Division for clarification.
3. Do I need to remove the metal and burlap from a newly planted tree? Yes, removing the metal and burlap increases the tree’s chance of survival.  A minimum of 2/3 of the burlap must be removed if not able to remove entirety.
4. Does the Division inspect trees in parks or parkways? No, Metro maintained parks and parkways are under the jurisdiction of Metro Parks Forestry. They can be contacted at (502) 574-7275.
5. Does the Division inspect trees in front yards or back yards? We only inspect trees in the public right of way of Metro maintained roads and alleys. Not sure if the tree in question is in the public right of way? Please refer to Frequently Asked Question #2.
6. Does the Division plant on private properties?  We do not plant on private property. However, many local organizations and neighborhood associations do.  TreesLouisville and Louisville Grows are tree non profits that might be planting in your neighborhood.
7. Does the Division give away trees for free? Yes, the Division facilitates tree giveaways. Trees must be planted on private property within Jefferson County. Please look for announcements on our webpage for future tree giveaway dates.
8. What tree companies do you recommend? There are many qualified companies in the Metro area. Please get estimates from at least 3 different companies and ensure that they are state licensed, bonded, and insured. We recommended getting a ISA Certified Arborist to perform the tree work.
9. What if I see a tree company or individual removing, pruning, or planting a tree without a permit? Please contact Metro Call 311.
10. I live in a historic or preservation district, do I need a special permit to remove, plant or prune a tree in the public right of way?  No, only a permit is required from the Division.

Enter your address and MyLouisville will find nearby city services in the following categories:

  • Garbage Icon Solid Waste Services
  • Police Badge Icon Emergency Services
  • Political Info Icon Political Info
  • House Icon General Location Info

Find your garbage, recycling, yard waste and large-item set-out dates. Sign up for large-item set out and street sweeping reminders by email and text!

The new Metro311 Reporting System and our new 311 mobile app is live!

Report Something to Us!

Call MetroCall at 311 or (502) 574-5000

No service has been selected.

No form has been selected.