Domestic Violence Intake Center

Domestic Violence Intake Center

Protective orders can be filed at any time.
We are fully staffed for criminal complaints at the hours below.

Monday-Friday: 6 AM-12:30 AM
Saturday-Sunday: 10 AM-6 PM

1st Floor, Room 1150
Jefferson Hall of Justice
600 W. Jefferson Street
(502) 595-0853

Escape the Cycle of Domestic Violence
If you are a victim of domestic violence, you can seek help by coming to the Domestic Violence Intake Center. Here you can find assistance in obtaining protection from your abuser while you take the important first steps to break away from the cycle of violence.

If someone in your family, including your spouse dating/romantic partner, or the parent of your child has abused you, we can help.

Our staff will work with you in a secure environment, and help you begin the legal process to get the protection you need to help stop the violence.

Legal Protections Available

Emergency Protective Orders/Temporary Interpersonal Protective Orders
These are temporary civil orders signed by a judge designed to prevent further acts of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking.  If you have been a victim of one these things, a judge can order your abuser to have no contact with you, stay a certain amount of feet away, stay away from certain locations, vacate a shared residence, and stop abusing, threatening or stalking you.  These can be filed on behalf of minors, as well.

Emergency Protective Orders (EPOs) are for close family members, or people who have lived together as an unmarried couple or who have children together.  Interpersonal Protective Orders (IPOs) are for people who have been in a dating relationship, or for people who have been victims of sexual assault or stalking.  

These orders are not in effect until they are served on the person you file against, and they are temporary until a court hearing.  At the time of your hearing a judge can make the order more permanent by entering a Domestic Violence Order or an Interpersonal Protective Order (good for up to three years) or dismiss the order.

Criminal Complaint
A Criminal Complaint is a criminal remedy that can be used in cases of domestic violence. If there is probable cause for a criminal complaint, either an arrest warrant or a criminal summons may be issued against your abuser. No attorney or fee is required.

Other Services Available

The Domestic Violence Intake Center offers additional services to help you begin a new way of life. These services include:

  • Victim safety planning
  • Advocacy
  • Community referrals to counseling, social services and legal advocacy
  • Full explanation of applicable court processes
  • Referral to law enforcement, when necessary

Information to Bring to the  Domestic Violence Intake Center

  • A photo ID
  • The abuser’s full name, address, social security number, birthday, place of employment, witness’ names (including police officer)
  • A copy of any existing EPO/DVO
  • An address where you can receive information from the court 

Safety During a Violent Episode

Choose  one or more neighbors you trust, tell them about  the violence, and ask that they call the police immediately if they hear a disturbance coming from your home.

  • Practice how to get out of your home safely.
    Identify which doors, windows, elevators or stairwells would be best and where extra keys are hidden.
  • If an argument seems unavoidable, try to have it in a room or area where you have an exit. Avoid the kitchen, bedroom or anywhere weapons might be available.
  • Choose a code word to use with your children, family and neighbors so they will know when to call the police for you. Teach your children to Dial 911 and review safety measures with them as often as possible.
  • Decide and plan where you will go if you have to leave home, even if you do not think you will need to.

Contributing Agencies

  • Jefferson County Attorney
  • Commonwealth’s Attorney
  • Jefferson County Sheriff
  • Jefferson County Circuit Court Clerk
  • Metro Louisville
  • Jefferson District Court
  • Louisville/Jefferson County Criminal Justice Commission
  • Center for Women & Families
  • National Council of Jewish Women
  • Domestic Violence Reform Committee

Enter your address and MyLouisville will find nearby city services in the following categories:

  • Garbage Icon Solid Waste Services
  • Police Badge Icon Emergency Services
  • Political Info Icon Political Info
  • House Icon General Location Info

Find your garbage, recycling, yard waste and large-item set-out dates. Sign up for large-item set out and street sweeping reminders by email and text!

Use the Metro311 Online Portal,
our 311 mobile app or email to report something to us!

Call Metro311 at 311 or (502) 574-5000

No service has been selected.

No form has been selected.