On October 13, 2021 Louisville Metro Department of Corrections will begin using the new Securus Video Visitation allowing for both on-site and remote visits for inmate’s friends and family from home, office or anywhere you have Internet service. The following are answers to our most frequently asked questions.
Q: How does the new video visitation system work?
A: Free ONSITE “Public Visits” are at no cost. To reduce the public’s waiting time ONSITE all visits are scheduled in advance.
What is new? REMOTE Visits that can be completed for a cost of $ 5.00 for 20 minutes.
“Public Visits are on-site visits. Inmates can still visit onsite with friends and family from a video visitation terminal (right). A video terminal will be located inside the jail in each housing area and a second video terminal in the jail’s public lobby. Friends and family can schedule and complete their onsite visit at no cost.
The new system allows friends and family to visit remotely from home, office or anywhere you have Internet service. Remote visitors will need to create a free Securus account and have access to a smartphone, tablet or computer with a webcam, microphone and a high-speed Internet connection. “Remote Visits” must be paid by credit card or debit card during online scheduling.
Q: How often can I visit inmates?
A: Each inmate is allowed two onsite visits per week from friends or family members and unlimited remote visits. The goal is to increase an inmate’s community connections with friends and loved ones during a period of incarceration.
Q: How Do I schedule my visit?
A: You can open a free Securus account for Inmate visits at www.videovisitanywhere.com. Visitors simply make a request to the facility to approve you as a visitor. Once approved, you can login and schedule a remote or onsite visit.
Visits must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. The public will need to have 2 things to visit (it will be emailed to them when they schedule their visit):
- Date and time of your visit
- PIN number and Terminal number to login for your visit.
Q: Is there a charge for Remote Video Visitation?
A: Onsite visits will continue at no cost, but family and friends should try out our remote visits. Remote visits cost $ 5.00 for 20 minutes, about the same cost as parking downtown.
Q: When can I schedule a visit?
A: Visits are scheduled 24 hours in advance .
- Sunday 8:00 AM – 9:50 AM / 12:00 – 1:50pm / 5:00 PM – 9:50 PM
- Monday 8:00 AM – 9:50 AM / 12:00 – 1:50pm / 5:00 PM – 9:50 PM
- Tuesday 8:00 AM – 9:50 AM / 12:00 – 1:50pm / 5:00 PM – 9:50 PM
- Wednesday 8:00 AM – 9:50 AM / 12:00 – 1:50pm / 5:00 PM – 9:50 PM
- Thursday 8:00 AM – 9:50 AM / 12:00 – 1:50pm / 5:00 PM – 9:50 PM
- Friday 8:00 AM – 9:50 AM / 12:00 – 1:50pm / 5:00 PM – 9:50 PM
- Saturday 8:00 AM – 9:50 AM / 12:00 – 1:50pm / 5:00 PM – 9:50 PM
Q: What do I need to do to visit from home?
A: You can conduct visits using an Apple or Android smartphone or a tablet. Download the free Securus Visitation app in the App Store or Google Play.
You can also use a computer with high speed internet access and a webcam. You will need to do the following:
- Create a visitation account at www.videovisitanywhere.com.
- Request access to visit an inmate at Louisville Metro Corrections Department. Your request is then reviewed within 24 hours by jail staff.
- When you are approved as a visitor, go to www.videovisitanywhere.com to schedule remote visitation appointments. You must pay using a credit or debit card.
Q: Is there anything else I should know?
A: Here are some rules you must follow to protect your visitation privileges.
- Participants must be and remain seated during the visit session.
- All clothing must remain in place. Partial exposure or nudity is prohibited and may result in visitation privileges being revoked.
- Only visitors registered and logged for a specified visit are allowed to be a part of the video visitation. The attempt by any other party to engage in the visitation is prohibited and may result in visitation privileges being revoked.
- Offensive, loud, or disruptive behavior or language is prohibited and may result in visitation privileges being revoked.
- Visitors that knowingly violate courts orders will lose visitation privileges.
- Visitors show using drugs or alcohol or under the influence of drugs or alcohol will lose visitation privileges.
- If you have any questions about visiting from home, pick up one of our brochures or visit www.videovisit for further information.
#1 - Be patient
- You must be 16 years or older and have a valid picture ID.
- Visitation is only allowed after arraignment, classification and the housing assignment has been made;
- Inmates are allowed one (1) 20 minute visit per scheduled day. Up to 2 adults, or 1 adult and 1 child (under age 18) may visit per visitation session.
- Out of town visits : One extended visit of 40 minutes will be permitted every seven days for those visitors traveling more than 100 miles (one way) to Louisville, KY. You must have two forms of identification (1 valid pictured government-issued ID and a piece of mail dated within the last 30 days or a departing bus / airline ticket) as proof of your out-of-state status. Please arrive early and on the scheduled visiting day, if possible, to accommodate an extended visit.
- The employees assisting with your visit will not be able to control the exact time that your visit will begin because they have no control over the activities within the security perimeter. That is one of the reasons for rule #1.
- If you choose to leave and return after signing up to visit, your visit may be cancelled and you will have to return during the next scheduled visitation session.