Building Moving Permits
In order to move a structure within, into, or out of Louisville and Jefferson Co. will be required to complete an application for the moving of a building with the Division in order to assure all local and state laws and ordinances are adhered to.
When a structure is to be transported to its permanent site the owner of the structure must obtain a permanent site moving permit. In order to receive this permit the owner needs to :
- Obtain a building permit in accordance with Chapter 150 of the Metro Code of Ordinances.
- Provide evidence by the submittal of a document indicating how and when the previous site has been or will be rehabilitated and that all utilities have been properly disconnected. Each utility company must sign the permit application indicating that their service has been properly disconnected prior to its submittal to the Department of Codes and Regulations.
- Acquire the appropriate approvals and permits from the Department of Public Works and Assets if the transport route to move the structure follows any roads that require a permit. If route taken does not require an encroachment permit then evidence of the issuance of a building permit as required in subsection (A)(1) must be shown in order to obtain a police escort.
- Provide proof of insurance as referenced in § 152.05(A).
- Remit a fee of $200 to the Department of Codes and Regulations.
Work commencing before permit issued. Any person who commences to move a structure before obtaining the necessary permits as listed in this section shall be subject to $500 permit fee. The Department of Codes and Regulations shall provide notice to any Police Department with jurisdiction, the appropriate Fire Department or District, and Metro Emergency Management Services by providing the appropriate information regarding the move to the assigned representatives of the agencies listed in this subsection.
Download a Building Moving Permit Application HERE