- Intro and_Table_of_Contents (561 KB PDF file)
- Chapter One - Purpose & Applicability (364 KB PDF file)
- Chapter Two - Design Framework (1.0 KB PDF file)
- Chapter Three - Users & Facilities (5.5 MB PDF file)
- Chapter Four - Facility Design (3.6 MB PDF file)
- Chapter Five - Streetscape Design (191 KB PDF file)
- Glossary (315 KB PDF file)
- References (166 KB PDF file)
- Appendix A-Part1 (3.5 MB PDF file)
- Appendix A-Part2 (3.9 MB PDF file)
- Appendix A-Part3 (3.5 MB PDF file)
- Appendix A-Part4 (3.3 MB PDF file)
The Louisville Metro Complete Streets Manual is among the most comprehensive documents of its kind in the United States. Complete Streets means routinely providing accommodation on all new and reconstructed roadways for ALL users: bicyclists, pedestrians, motorists, transit users, and people with disabilities. Some cities have a policy statement in the form of local ordinance or a section of their zoning code. Others have design guidelines showing how streets can accommodate all users based on pure engineering judgment and/or “Context Sensitive” solutions – design which considers the character of the neighborhoods through which streets pass.
Louisville’s Complete Streets Manual and Policy incorporates all of these elements in one, easy-to-use document. Adoption of this manual and policy will reverse what Mayor Abramson has called, “a decades-old urban planning mistake,” in designing roadways only for motor vehicle traffic. This landmark document will pave the way towards making our roadways safer and more accessible for all users while at the same time increasing the overall efficiency of the surface transportation network by increasing its total multi-modal carrying capacity.
Metro is indebted to the work of all the pioneers of the Complete Streets movement who have established the best practices and models that have been incorporated into this document. Most especially, we thank the National Complete Streets Coalition for their diligence in spearheading and disseminating information about the Complete Streets movement around the world.