Any agency offering for hire, armed security guards, or any company that has private armed security guards, must be licensed with Louisville Metro. In addition any person who works as an armed security guards, either for an agency, or a company, must be licensed.
For instructions on obtaining a license use the links below:
To view Chapter 124 of the Codified Ordinance of Louisville meter regarding Armed Security Agencies and Offices click here.
Armed Security Forms:
Armed Security Agency/Company Application
Armed Security Guard Application
Affidavit For Armed Security Guard Licensure
LMCO Chapter 124 Armed Security Officers
Agency Applications Instructions
In order to be eligible for an agency license, each of the persons identified below must meet the following qualifications:
- If a corporation, the incorporators, Board of Directors and officers.
- If a sole proprietorship or partnership, the sole proprietor or each partner, whether limited or otherwise.
- Be citizens of the United States;
- Have attained the age of 21;
- Not have been dishonorably discharged from any branch of the United States military;
- Not have been convicted of or currently under indictment for any of the following:
- a felony;
- Illegally using, carrying or possessing a deadly weapon as defined in KRS 500.080(4);
- impersonation of a law enforcement officer or employee of the United States, or any political subdivision thereof;
- the illegal use, sale or possession of a controlled substance as defined in KRS Chapter 218A; or
- any crime of moral turpitude.
- An applicant shall have satisfied this requirement, if in those instances where the foregoing offense was a misdemeanor, conviction occurred at least two years prior to application for the license; or, in those instances where the offense was a felony, the applicant has been granted a pardon or has had his/her civil rights restored and has been specifically authorized to possess a firearm by means of relief granted by the United States Secretary of the Treasury pursuant to the Federal Gun Control Act of 1960, as amended;
- Has not been adjudged mentally incompetent by federal court or court of any state or political subdivision, and if so adjudicated, such adjudication has been set aside for fraud or error;
- Has not been hospitalized for psychiatric treatment or for drug or alcohol abuse treatment within the past two years, and if so hospitalized, will provide a written statement from a licensed and qualified physician or clinical psychologist verifying that he or she is mentally and emotionally fit for the duties of an armed security officer.
- No agency or company shall employ armed security officers who are not licensed by the Director
- Submit an application
- One (1) State wide criminal history from any state in which the applicant(s) have lived for more than 5 years,
- One (1) Affidavit for Armed Security Guard Licensure for each owner, manager and supervisor.
- Provide evidence of insurance issued by an insurer authorized to do business in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, naming the proposed agency as insured in the amount of $100,000 for property damages, $1,000,000 for injury or death of one person, and $3,000,000 for injury of death of more than one person per incident arising out of the operation of such agency. An agency providing the Director with demonstrable proof that the agency has sufficient assets to indemnify itself against liability to the extent listed above shall be deemed to comply with this subsection.
- Certificate of Existence or Certificate of Authorization from the Secretary of State.
- Copy of Registration with Louisville/Jefferson County Revenue Commission
- Agencies are required to pay a $100.00 licensing fee.
Agencies must renew the license every year. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, company, partnership or corporation to employ an agency or armed security officer for security purposes if the armed security guard or agency is not in compliance LMCO 124. Agencies and companies must notify this office of any changes in address, telephone number, management or terminations of employment.
ARMED SECURITY GUARDS
Applicants must be associated with a registered agency or company. Individuals not associated with a company or agency cannot obtain an armed security guard license.
- You must be a citizen of the United States;
- You must be at least 21 years old;
- You must not have been dishonorably discharged from any branch of the United States military;
- You must not have been convicted of or currently under indictment for a felony.
- In those instances where the offense was a misdemeanor, conviction must have occurred at least two years prior to application for the license.
- In those instances where the offense was a felony, you must have been granted a pardon or have had your civil rights restored and have been specifically authorized to possess a firearm by means of relief granted by the United States Secretary of the Treasury pursuant to the Federal Gun Control Act of 1960, as amended;
- Have not been adjudged mentally incompetent or currently under charge by a federal court or court of any state or political subdivision, and if so judged, such judgment has been set aside for fraud or error;
- Have not been hospitalized for psychiatric treatment or for drug or alcohol abuse treatment within the past two years, and if so hospitalized, will provide a written statement from a licensed and qualified physician or clinical psychologist verifying that he or she is mentally and emotionally fit for the duties of an armed security officer;
- Successfully completed an approved training course containing the following:
Orientation (introduction to the course) and note taking;
Fire prevention and control:
Legal basis for security and rights of security officers, limitations (particularly with respect to the use of firearms);
Basic law pertaining to criminal justice and the Kentucky Penal Code;
Criminal law and security officer arrest, force, search and seizure;
First aid and special problems;
Defensive tactics, alternatives to the use of firearms; and
The course must provide for the administration of a written exam and for qualification on the firing range.
- A completed and signed application
- A completed and signed intent to hire from the company/agency.
- A copy of your criminal record from :
Commonwealth of Kentucky
Administrative Office of the Courts Pretrial Services Records Division
100 Millcreek Park
Frankfort KY 40601
800-928-6381 or 502-573-1682
And Statewide records check from any place in which you have lived within the last five (5) years.
- Kentucky residence must hold a valid license to carry a concealed deadly weapon ("CCDW") pursuant to KRS 237.110. The applicant must provide proof from the Commonwealth of Kentucky that he or she has a valid CCDW, and shall continue to hold such license at all times licensed as an Armed Security Officer
- Affidavit for armed security guard licensure (please contact our office for this form)
Certificate of Armed Security and weapons training from an approved training facility:
TG & G/ICSS - Contact: Ken Pagano 502 - 451-9088 or 502 - 551-9723.
US Firearms Training - Raymond Welch at 502-744-4750 or www.usfirearmstraining.com.
Health and Safety Sciences Contact: Jeff Crews at 606-393-3036 or 606-922-5220.
Advanced Risk Services - Contact: Jeremy Bates at 502-551-5106.
Murray Guard, Inc. - Contact: C. Dean Sturgeon 502-773-5589
PSD Executive Protective Specialist LLC – Contact: Darryl Watson at 267-325-0999.
The Gun School - Contact: James F. Grimes at 502-751-2219 or email@example.com
Money Soldier Tactical – Contact: Don Anderson at 502-963-1846 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application fee of $25.00.