Amusement Devices/Machines

Coin-operated amusement device is any mechanical game of skill or amusement operated on the currency or token in-the-slot principle. Coin-operated music machine is any mechanical music vending machine operated on the currency or token in-the-slot principle and which affords music, songs, or other similar amusement.

If you own or lease an amusement device within Jefferson County, you are required to obtain an amusement tag for each machine.The license fee is $20 for each machine.The license and the amusement stickers are for one year expiring on November 1. You will receive a license with your name and address on it.You will receive an amusement "sticker" to put on your machines showing they are licensed.These stickers are transferable from one machine or device to another or for a replacement machine.Steps in Obtaining Licenses

  1. Completed application (below)
  2. Register with the Louisville Metro Revenue Commission located at 617 W. Jefferson St, Louisville, KY 40202 or by phone (502) 574-4900. If already registered you must be in good standing with their office.
  3. If applicant is a corporation, the corporation must be in good standing with the Kentucky Secretary of State’s Office.
  4. Payment of $20.00 for each amusement/music device.

    Amusement Machine Application (PDF)


The amusement device (poker machines, slot machines) may not be used for gambling.

If the mechanical game of skill or amusement device is used as a gambling device or game, the amusement device will be confiscated and you will be cited.


This applies to any person, owner, or renter of an amusement device or machine.

This also applies to any person, owner or lessee who lets the amusement device or machine be operated by another.

If you do not put the tags on your amusement device, you will be guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction will be fined not less than $25 or more than $100.

You could be imprisoned in the metro jail between 10 days or more than 30 days. This is at the discretion of the court.

You may also have to pay a $10 fee to Louisville Metro Police for taking away of the amusement device, if the device is not licensed.